Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Crust
Reply Quote
Just FYI, the internap sidux mirror is no longer up.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sorry, I missed this.

I removed the internap mirrors from the sidux mirror list, but didn't add them to the list of bad mirrors to remove, since apparently the mirrors will be back sometime reasonably soon.
drb
Reply Quote
virtualbox 3.2.8 update
secipolla
Reply Quote
It's a small thing but at smxi.org/docs/smxi-manual.htm#advanced-options that recommendation for not using apt-get clean when running debdelta isn't valid.
You may safely remove that whole paragraph.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New option in package install, display managers, gnome, gnome-extras, openbox.

Currently not a lot of packages included, since I don't really know gnome, I am using a reasonable metapackage from Debian, gnome-core for the basic gnome, and:

gnome-backgrounds gnome-extra-icons gnome-system-monitor gnome-netstatus-applet

for gnome-extras.

Also I added in openbox as an install option, which lets you run openbox instead of metacity as a gdm/kdm option, same for kde, you can run kde/openbox.

I found bugs doing that but it does give you a lighter desktop.

Gnome in debian is still largely unusable if you have any complicated requirements or want to actually do something non standard, or heaven forbid, add a panel to a second monitor on dual monitor displays.

But it's an ok desktop for regular users if set up and configured to reasonable defaults. Nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing to point to with pride as a great achievement for free software, but it seems ok, I tried it a few times, if you have few needs, it is ok.

This removes one of the last legacy things I had in smxi, no gnome, because of sidux and their dislike of it in Sid. smxi also features pretty good gtk/gnome package break handling for sid, so if you see breaks, let me know and I'll add in more package groups to test.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
version: 8.31.00

New feature: script cleanup utility, now you can cleanup:

script backup files, like those xorg.conf files that build up after a while, and some old stuff most of you probably don't have.

kernel downloads directory, these can really get big

sgfxi downloads directory, for fglrx/nvidia downloads, these also can really add up over years.

vm package downloads, also these get big

script configs, not recommended to remove for obvious reasons

script logs files

and finally, a full script uninstaller, for those who absolutely hate it or want to dump all the stuff in one click.

Note that the cleanup tool will tell you how much disk space the download directories are taking so you know how much it will save you.

This can also be useful if your / is getting full.

Who would have thunk that smxi would last so long as to need something like this, but it has, and it does, so here it is.

Located in cleanup section, number 5, option list, each will ask you to confirm your selection and tell you what will be removed, except the smxi uninstaller, that will just uninstall everything.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
by request, added new option to override missing grub/ or lilo found test:

smxi -! 32

no warranty, no guarantee, I have no idea what happens if you use it, should be ok but who knows?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New option:

smxi -Y

this lets you run the clean up smxi cruft option directly, from X or console, you must still be root, but you can just clean up stuff without needing the rest of smxi running, or uninstall it the same way.

I'll probably add a small cleanup option to remove the download directories of svmi and sgfxi too at some point, same letter, -Y to keep it easy.

Remember you need to start smxi once, or do the forced update, -U, for this new option to be present.
secipolla
Reply Quote
Good improvements, thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
this -Y option is now in sgfxi and svmi too, a simpler version for each.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next