Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

smxi :: latest features
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Rather than populate the main forum with new smxi features, for most minor additions etc, I'm just going to post the latest smxi features, packages, etc, here.

Please use the main bug report or feature request threads for posting bugs ore feature requests.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Created two new package groups for hold/install testing, evolution and vegastrike.

Vegastrike because it appears to be eternally stuck in its version mismatch, and evolution from the recent mismatch reported in du warnings.

This brings the manual hold / install items to only nfs-common, which is a bug that will probably never get fixed until lenny replaces etch, and then only because etch will not be supported.

I was trying to avoid adding too many groups, but evolution we need to support even if it's big and bloated, and zulu9 has been very long suffering with the vegastrike hold.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Added new testing methods, the -! option triggers, to smxi as well as sgfxi, svmi, and inxi.

This completes the update of testing/debugging handling for all the scripts.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
In package install, big improvements, laying the ground work for coming changes: added new first step selection of which install type: server or client.

Once you select which you want, certain packages that I always end up removing from real servers will NOT be installed if you pick 'server', but 'client' will install everything, at least for now.

I also redid the h2 favorites to use this new tool, so if you're building up a server, you won't be installing non server stuff like thunderbird, alsa, and so on.

Also redid the way you pick the option, now it's a dynamic yes/no via 1 / 2 selection, like most of the rest of smxi.

I'll be removing all the legacy y/n stuff and replacing it with 1/2 option lists, which are far more powerful and flexible re what the message it gives you, and much easier to avoid error etc.

That includes the first smxi question, do you want to kill x etc.. too, but I'll hold off on that for a bit.

Something said in The Art of Unix Programming reminded me to keep the interface consistent: 'do not surprise the user'. This will probably also make me rewrite a few of the odder functions in smxi as well at some point, that don't work as expected, but work in a far too 'clever' way.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
In graphics install question, for nvidia cards only, new option: nvidia beta driver.

This just triggers sgfxi to test if a current beta for your card type is available, if it is, it uses it, if not, it uses the default driver for your card type instead.

Have fun.

It's far too complicated to actually have smxi and sgfxi exchange the real information about that beta data, so I'm not going to bother trying to do that.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Added a temporary patch to handle the new illogical debian version number, where lenny/sid id in /etc/debian_version was changed to 5.0, which will then I assume move to Lenny Stable, meaning that in the future, it will be very difficult to distinguish a Lenny/Sid that has not been upgraded from a Lenny stable.

This is depressingly typical, not well thought out at all, but that's why smxi exists I guess, if things were all done logically and consistently, with the end user always in mind, there would be no need for any of the s scripts in the first place.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Major fix in version numbering, previously, smxi got its version number, the one it displays, from its own script version number, now I made a backend script, usl, create a new number and date, which is built by adding 1 to either the second number or the third, ie, if a third number in any script lib changes, the version numbers smxi shows users would increment one: 8.07.00 to 8.07.01

I also zero padded the 2nd and 3rd numbers to make it easier to see the versions updating.

You'll notice little difference the first time you run smxi, but the next time you run it, the initial latest / remote/ local version data will be gone.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New: this is currently only seen if you start smxi with -! 2 ( -exclamation mark + 2): for users who are using apt-get as upgrade tool, and if you are running Sid system, smxi will detect packages to be removed, and notify you which packages prior to the dist-upgrade, just as a convenience.

Because this interferes with the normal flow, I'm leaving this as a testing option for a while, until I get some feedback from people.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New feature, by request: package install, servers, samba, nfs, apache2/php/mysql etc.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Version 8.09.01:
New stuff in smxi: now turned off the testing requirement for the new apt-get du packages to be removed, I think that will work alright as it now is, right above the initial hit enter to continue for the main dist-upgrade.

Let me know if the wording needs work for the packages to be removed output, which you will only see, of course, if there are packages to be removed.

Fixed the old you are in x, or x is running initial warning and exit option, now it's more readable in a white terminal background, and the options are more clearly defined.

Added ipw2x00 update fix for all you ipw2100/ipw2200 users. The connection does NOT drop when the fix runs, which simply removes your old firmware package and installs the new debian ipw2x00 stuff.

Also created a new lib file, sm-lib-du-fixes, just to try to get some stuff out of the main script engine.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next