Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Learned a new trick, echo 'n' | aptitude dist-upgrade will work the same as --assume-no, and so I added that to the packages to be removed listing, so now both aptitude and apt-get Sid or sidux users will get that test.

That's about it for now, I polished up some documentation pages, and am going to start relaxing a bit more and spending a bit l ess time on this stuff and a bit more dealing with some increasingly real world issues.

Have a good new year's if you can.
techAdmin
Reply Quote

Fixed bug in the packages to be removed code, and also simplified it to use the same code for both cases, apt-get and aptitude.

Also added a temporary testing option: smxi -! 1
is the trigger. If there are packages to be removed, this will also show, if present, packages to be added.

Usually the list of packages to be added contains the newer versions of packages to be removed.

I think what I'll do is simply add this as a user preference option, now that I think of it, where you can set whether or not to show packages to be added.

To me it seems like a good thing to see.

This is a sid only feature currently, doesn't seem a lot of point in using it for testing or stable, unless there's demand for that.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Improved aptitude and apt-get handling of automated hold/install groups.

now it's faster, more complete, and actually should work with aptitude's broken hold system, I think anyway.

Also added full-upgrade option to smxi for aptitude instead of dist-upgrade, since that's the preferred syntax, though it's just the same thing, with a different name, as dist-upgrade.
widux
Reply Quote
Hi,

thanx, I relazied that the missmatch check working slowlier. It' really an improvement!

btw: Thanx fpr adding the whole server stuff! ;) I didn't have the time to test this earlier!

Greez w.
techAdmin
Reply Quote

By user request, a feature to update/download all possible script components.

smxi -! 20 will update/download all script components, including inxi, sgfxi, svmi

smxi -! 21 will download/install rbxi

smxi -h will show these options now
techAdmin
Reply Quote
added rbxi package installer to smxi package install -> utilities.

since this feature was already available in the new -! 21 option, there was no reason not to make the rbxi installer integrated into smxi itself as well.

Remember, rbxi requires manual setup and reading the rbxi-data/readme-rbxi.htm and configuring and reading the rbxi-data/rbxi-values file.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
version 8.12.0:
new feature, now nvidia/ati card users will see an update/alert section in the system information section, the first part, as well as in the graphics install section.

I also made the text output of kernel install not show the fglrx/nvidia reinstall message if the person doesn't have one of those cards, that helps present less non critical information.

The video card data is now set live like the other warning information, and is updated in real time when required.

This should help a bit in terms of removing unnecessary information from the main alerts/warnings sections, the non free driver information isn't really a warning or an alert, just the state of things currently, so that's how it will not be handled.

This is part of the ongoing process of making this stuff as streamlined as possible, and as easy to maintain while giving as much useful information as I can cram into a single screen.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
8.13.0:

Because I wanted to test out using an apt proxy, I had to modify smxi and related scripts to handle this new sources.list syntax.

I added in support for apt proxies, specifically approx, but I think apt-proxy will also work. But don't use apt-proxy because people said it's buggy and unreliable. approx is easy to setup and use.

You can read the basic information you need for smxi to work in the smxi manual / apt-proxy section.

I also made a convenient little script, switcher, that makes switching sources.list files between an apt proxy source like approx and standard Debian sources. Download/Install directions for switcher. This is useful if you have machine, say a laptop, that you use both in your local network and outside it.

Basically, because there's a limit to what I can make smxi detect, you'll need to follow conventions, listed on the manual page link above, for naming your local repo for each system you need.
dzz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Download/Install directions for switcher

Link doesn't work but I found it anyway. Installed and going well here with approx. No more multiple downloads of the same stuff.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Link works, I just tried it. That is NOT the file download link, it's a link to a part of a webpage.

I plan on increasing my testing now that I have the approx server running on all systems.

Another thing you can do is mount the approx data on a separate partition, then have each system on your local machine, if you for some reason multiboot with debian systems, and use the same partition mounted on each system.

or, if you use a standalone box for the approx server, simply point all the boxes to it.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next