Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

BakUp
Reply Quote
I was able to use a Grub2 boot loader menu on my computer instead of the grub legacy menu that I was booting up, which I discussed in a previous post above. It was easier than I thought:
CLICK HERE

I have not been successful though on creating a usable Grub2 rescue CD but I will continue to try to accomplish this.

Edit: I also added these lines to the Wikula » Grub2slit Creating your own grub2 rescue cd:
:: Quote ::
If the "grub_eltorito" does not exist you can create it:

# grub-mkrescue --image-type=cdrom --emulation=none elt.iso
# build/boot/grub/grub_eltorito

aus9
Reply Quote
BakUp

Are you saying that when you mounted elt.iso that you could not see the grub_eltorito file?

Thanks for the heads up on Parsix but I note its gnome based which um is not my cup of tea...lol
BakUp
Reply Quote
:: aus9 wrote ::
Are you saying that when you mounted elt.iso that you could not see the grub_eltorito file?

I did a sidux system search on my computer and grub_eltorito could not be found. Maybe I did something wrong, don't know.
aus9
Reply Quote
BakUp

hmm ok lets review the steps in the wiki and maybe if I have made an error you can spot it?

in (1) apt-get update && apt-get install genisoimage grub-rescue-pc

That gets you a package called grub-rescue-pc.

in (3) grub-mkrescue --image-type=cdrom --emulation=none elt.iso

That makes an iso...called elt.iso

$ sux
# mount -o loop /path2/elt.iso mnt/

that saves you burning it to cdrw...and allows you to use your file manager to look inside mnt/

Use file manager to copy mnt/boot/grub/grub_eltorito to build/boot/grub/

meaning /home/yourname/mnt/grub/grub_eltorito

Let me know if this is not clear and maybe I will rephrase ?

regards
BakUp
Reply Quote
hmm ok lets review the steps in the wiki and maybe if I have made an error you can spot it ?That makes an iso...called elt.iso

I suspected it was something I overlooked, I missed the part it was named elt.iso, I was looking for something more like grub_eltorito.iso

I can remove what I added to the Wiki then.......I believe you have made things clear enough, No problem !
aus9
Reply Quote
well if you like that wiki...standby for a re-master the same sneaky way of sidux.

But as I am a pussy cat...I prefer not to get banned....so I have sent my wiki submission off to a dev to peek at.

I think a week from now is about right for them to say...either
its illegal
its cr#p
its ok

and if either first 2 responses...I might post it to LQ wiki or see if TechAdmin likes it?

regards
BakUp
Reply Quote
well if you like that wiki...standby for a re-master

Two thumbs up from here.......

I was able to create the Grub2 Rescue CD the second time around. It is sort of a little lengthly process but well worth it though.

Just curious, may I ask what purpose this serves ?
:: Code ::
# apt-get remove --purge mkisofs

Why would mkisofs have to be removed ? I skipped this the second time around.

Thanks for the Grub2 Rescue CD aus9,
BakUp
techAdmin
Reply Quote
aus9, if you get the thumbs down from the sidux lads, which you probably will since they have always been opposed to such things, I'll happily add the information here or on smxi.org as a page or a sticky thread.
aus9
Reply Quote
TechAdmin

thanks for the offer...I have given them a week from now to have a look at it and make a decision.

BakUp

mkisofs was my old way of making grub legacy bootable cds...but I now prefer genisoimage....if you were able to install without interference good.
BakUp
Reply Quote
aus9, does your Grub2 Wiki include any info on how to add splashimages ? I didn't see it but everytime I say that I have overlooked it somehow. I don't know if this is the case this time or not.

I ran into THIS

but I really did not understand the info that was provided. Have you ever run onto any other info that would be beneficial ? Would it be possible to add something to your Wiki sometime on how to add splashimages ? (based on if it is not already included)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next