Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Added pre install libdrm 2 version fix because the latest fglrx, 9-4, still doesn't support libdrm 2.4 in Sid, so I need to let people know how to resolve this issue.

Error 220 will handle this.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This is a big transition, so it helps to have some information:

new default sgfxi/smxi fglrx driver: 9-4
9-4 does support xorg 1.6
It does not support libdrm2 v 2.4 if you use the direct binary installer method.
It does apparently work if you use the debian install method, option sgfxi -s or debian-install in smxi options.

64 bit 9-4 is now in sid, 32 bit to come.

9-4 does NOT support cards version hd2000 or older, that's the end of that support cycle.

sgfxi 9-4 does support kernel 2.6.29 with a patch in the direct installer method.

radeonhd latest xorg does support, in 2d, r7xx cards and earlier, 3d I don't know the cuttoff point, but as bridgeman has stated repeatedly, 'support' means about 70% (final support level goal, I believe) of full card power. That is the goal, not the current status.

This is the status as far as I know it now, please correct anything if it's not right.

Because of the nature of the transition, I'm going to create a 32 bit/64 bit package of libdrm2 2.3 from debian testing in case people need to use 9-3 or 9-4 and libdrm2 2.3 is goine from testing.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New feature: -L <plus d, f, or n>, like so: sgfxi -L d

d - shows current, live, from the sgfxi on the webserver, driver lists for nvidia and fglrx
-f - shows the fglrx status data from smxi
-n - shows the nvidia status data from smxi

this should be useful for people who just want to do a quick check of the driver status from X using sgfxi.

Does not require root, can be run as regular user, no problem.

To get this feature, you'll have to update sgfxi once, either by just starting it as usual, or via: sgfxi -U

And that's that, enjoy.

It's not actually totally live, the update to produce the driver list runs once an hour.
Ghstryder
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
Please note, this is supposed to fix the issues with 180.50, but I'm leaving it as an optional install, with 180.44 remaining the stable until we get some feedback from people with 6xxx or 7xxx cards.

Installed and started fine here, in fact, the fan was running slower than usual. On reboot, it would not start x. I started it manually, it ran through kdm twice, and then started. I tried another boot, and it failed to start x. I reinstalled with sgfxi -co 180.51, and got the same results.

Back with 185.19, which is working fine.

inxi sez...
Graphics: Card nVidia NV45 [GeForce 6800 GTO] X.Org 1.6.1 Res: 1600x1200@50.0hz
GLX Renderer unknown board/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.19 Direct Rendering Yes
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You might want to post a quick bug report with 180.51 using the above nvnews links, 180.51 makes it even easier now: install driver, start x, when it fails, create bug report, upload to nvnews.com forums, it's now also gzipped to make it easier.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Because nvidia changed the status of their 180.51 from preerelease to current stable, I had to update sgfxi to reflect this.

See the release notes above for 180.51, and you can still install 180.44 via: sgfxi -co 180.44
Ghstryder
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
You might want to post a quick bug report with 180.51 using the above nvnews links, 180.51 makes it even easier now: install driver, start x, when it fails, create bug report, upload to nvnews.com forums, it's now also gzipped to make it easier.
Well, I scribbled some notes and then reinstalled it so I could create the bug report. Of course, it worked right out of the gate this time around. From now on, I am just going to pretend that I am planning on having it fail.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia new pre release / currnt: 180.53

release notes: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131874
bug reporting: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

Since this one is supposed to fix some 6xxx/7xxx stability issues, it's the new default. 180.51;180.44 are installable sgfxi -co <driver>
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New Nvidia beta: 185.18.04

To install: sgfxi -cB

release notes: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1990290
bug reports: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

I also cleaned up some older nvidia drivers to keep sgfxi reasonably clean and up to date, if you needed one of the removed nvidia drivers, speak up, otherwise they are now gone.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New fglrx: 9-5, set as default fglrx for sgfxi

This 9-5 is pretty much the same as 9-4, but it's the new fglrx default for sgfxi.

Note: smxi install will not work, it requires the sgfx -f method to do the direct driver install.

I guess I'll need to eventually add that option to the smxi graphics driver installer question section (or is it already there? I don't remember).

2.6.29 liquorix kernels tested and work fine with the new driver, I haven't tested it on 2.6.30 yet, also not on debian 2.6.29, but it should largely be the same.

Also remember you can check the latest status reports for fglrx (or nvidia) by doing: sgfxi -L f (as regular user, in x), or sgfxi -L n (for nvidia). To see the current supported drivers, do: sgfxi -L d

and that's it for today.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next