Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi 4.22.00

I updated the old -d logic for debian/ubuntu, it may now work on debian/ubuntu again.

I also changed the default to just install the nvidia/fglrx driver package stuff, with its dkms.

I added a new option, -m, which lets you force sgfxi to just build the module from source package, and updated all that logic so it works again too.

I doubt many people ever use this, but now sgfxi, if there are no bugs, will more or less install the standard documented distro driver method for arch/debian/fedora/ubuntu though arch and fedora have not been tested/debugged in a long time, so who knows if they work.

However, debian should work, if it doesn't, please post bug reports and give me the debugging data I need to fix it.

Also not tested is how well ubuntu/debian dkms uninstalls for a fresh clean nvidia/fglrx install, I believe it works, but I am not positive, that stuff has given problems over the years, particularly ubuntu stuff, debian seems to have resolved most issues but who knows.

Again, the goal is the same as it was before, you can do this all day long to your heart's content:

sgfxi
sgfxi -d
sgfxi -n
sgfxi
sgfxi -d

that is, install run package from amd/nvidia/then installl distro driver, then install forced native driver, like radeon/nouveau, then install run package, then install distro drivers.

You should be able to do that over and over in any order and sgfxi should work, a long time ago, it worked perfectly, but I can't say for dkms stuff.

Anyway, that restores some older less used functionality to sgfxi, and updates distro drivers to use dkms for apt distros.
drb
Reply Quote
Latest beta nvidia 334-21 appears to have installed without the need for a patch

:: Code ::
System:    Host: siductionbox Kernel: 3.13-5.towo.2-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: KDE 4.12.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: siduction 13.1.0 Firestarter - kde - (201305211844)
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: M57SLI-S4 Bios: Award version: F14 date: 03/07/2008
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 7238.42
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1800.00 MHz 2: 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.Org: 1.15.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 334.21 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card: NVIDIA MCP55 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: e400 bus-ID: 00:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:16:e6:84:ec:51
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4961.0GB (37.1% used) 1: model: WDC_WD6400AAKS
           2: model: WDC_WD3200AAKS 3: model: ST2000DM001 4: model: ST2000DM001
Info:      Processes: 182 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 1112.5/3960.0MB Runlevel: 3
           Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.0) inxi: 1.9.18

techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks, sgfxi updated, we'll see how it goes.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi now has tightened systemd/upstart support. I don't think there will be many changes in upstart for users, but systemd is now fairly different, in that it will try to simply shutdown the desktop instead of:

systemctl isolate multi-user.target

so we'll see.

All the systemd is going to be a work in progress.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Added sgfxi debug data collector option triggered by --debugger, this will create a gz file of the data I need to do basic debugging.
reiner
Reply Quote
hmm, kernel 3.14 is out and once again latest Nvidia beta driver (334.21) doesn't like the new kernel.
It compiles neither with sgfxi (sgfxi -fB) nor with calling the run-file directly.

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks reiner, good to know.

Probably needs a patch I would guess.

I'll update the version tests.

Does stable 331 also not work?

I am somewhat stunned at the rate of kernel churn I am seeing, I really really hope I don't have to hear a kernel guy brag about the 'stable linux kernel apis', something that is pure and total sh#t, unless by api you mean something totally unrelated to the kernel actual api, ie, what drivers and software actually have to interact with.

I have never seen this rate before doing sgfxi to be honest, something has been breaking/requires patching almost every single nvidia driver release now.
reiner
Reply Quote
I haven' t tested the stable 331 as I was already on the beta.
I'll give it a try in the morning.

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can also try the: sgfxi -o 304.121

which was released pretty recently as well, but it may not work on your card, but give it a try, it doesn't take long to test.

My guess is if 304.121 works with your card, it may also work with 3.14 kernel, but of course, it may not work on newer cards.

I'm sad about abuse and churn to be honest, I really had hoped that the linux kernel would get more stable over time, not change every single new release fundamentally. I actually feel very sorry for anyone who has to actually try to keep up with that somewhat sick rate of change, whether they are free or non free programmers, it's really not cool to do changes this quickly in my opinion, it abuses everyone, including me, who has to try to support the stuff.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I added a 304.21 3.14 patch, actually it's from towo, it applies fine, no idea if install works.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next