Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
amd/ati finally managed to get out another linux fglrx driver, 12.10

They also managed to do another pointless syntax change of the driver file name, adding in the word 'catalyst', and changing from 12-10 format to 12.10. These types of pointless changes are what show me conclusively the utter lack of intellectual discipline in their programming group, at least their linux one.

If you haven't dumped amd if you use non free drivers yet, I would urge you to do so. If you use free xorg drivers, it's fine, for now, although one key developer left the linux fglrx driver group and was placed somewhere else in the company.

AMD also lost $150 million plus last quarter, and is laying off 15% of their staff, which, given that they are an essentially IP producing company, ie, they have no plants or factories, just research and development, says a lot.

Keep these facts in mind when you decide where to put your money, and don't complain if you buy an amd card for 3d advanced features and then amd drops support for it a year after you got it, like they've been doing steadily over the years.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Amazingly, amd finally dropped their inane method of beta driver releases, and are now allowing direct downloads of the beta, now and then.

So sgfxi and smxi have been updated to handle fglrx beta with -B option, won't be very exciting, and will only work for current stable supported cards, ie no legacy betas will be supported by me, even if they happen to be released.

So you can test the 12.11 if you want. The 12.10 is actually just the 12.9 that was released late.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Nvidia forums are now located here for linux users

Make a note of it, or, even better, bookmark it.

Their new release forums are here.

You can also track the developer on google plus if you want.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Normally I no longer note when new fglrx drivers appear, but 13.1 was just released, and supports xorg 1.13, finally.

Their online docs say that it only supports kernel 3.5, but I'm assuming that's wrong.

sgfxi will exit with error on 3.7 fglrx, but feel free to test with override -! 6 then let me know if the driver worked on 3.7 kernel, they say it doesn't but that's not worth a lot.

amd also again pointlessly changed the download file name, it seems if they don't do that every 6 months or so they aren't happy. I feel sorry for any good programmers they have working for them it must suck.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
patch added for fglrx 12.10/13.1 and kernel 3.7, this may work, it may not, hard to know.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New driver for nvidia legacy 4, for 6-7xxx cards, 304.84.

this driver I assume will not require patching and does support 3.7/3.8 and xorg 1.14.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
New driver for nvidia legacy 4, for 6-7xxx cards, 304.84.

this driver I assume will not require patching and does support 3.7/3.8 and xorg 1.14.

This new driver update works on my 64-bit system with 3.8 kernel without any patching required so no -f switch needed for sgfxi to build and install it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
good, thank you for confirming, really all they needed to do was add in some more conditional paths in the installer to make up for the rapid fire changes in the kernel headers, hardly rocket science on their parts.

But it's good to see that we can now go on, hopefully they will release updated 313/173 series drivers too so I can put this issue behind me.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
good, thank you for confirming, really all they needed to do was add in some more conditional paths in the installer to make up for the rapid fire changes in the kernel headers, hardly rocket science on their parts.

But it's good to see that we can now go on, hopefully they will release updated 313/173 series drivers too so I can put this issue behind me.

Yes agreed and hopefully no more changes to kernel header paths in 3.9 and beyond.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
new nvidia 313.26, I assume this one also does not require any patching etc, but let me know to be sure. This leaves just the 173 series to be updated.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next