Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia new stable current: 290.10

release notes: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2503979
bug reports: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi now using the new 173.14.34, which has xorg 1.11 and 1.12 support, and new kernel support.

Release notes: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2557225
bug reports: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

Updated all sgfxi internal tests to handle this.

It's possible that this will be the only legacy branch maintained, which also hints that a new legacy branch might be in the work, we'll see.

Users of cards older than this supports should be running nouveau now.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I should mention, changed sgfxi -n for nvidia cards to use only nouveau, since nv is now gone from pretty much all distros. Time to let that one die.

Removed radeonhd, which is also gone, or going, and updated xorg driver list of possible drivers to install.

Also added in support for new legacy ati/amd cards, with new error messages to handle drop of support for hd2000-4xxx cards. When will people ever learn, don't buy new amd cards, unless you want to throw your money away, or if the free xorg driver is all you need, but if that's all you need, then you don't need an expensive card in the first place.
drb
Reply Quote
sgfxi failed to install the latest nvidia beta 304.22 as there was an error that it may not be compatible with xorg 1.12 . . . . I tried again with the -! 6 option and 304.22 has installed correctly
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
I get the same message, but

smxi -! 6 option doesn't exist.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi is updated for new nvidia beta, thanks, was busy can couldn't get to it.

smxi doesn't have the -! 6 option, that's only a sgfxi override option.
drb
Reply Quote
sgfxi -B! 6 worked here . . but not needed ow
donty
Reply Quote
Even after the updated sgfxi on Wheezy 64bit, still had to sgfxi -B! 6 to install it. Maybe I missed something, but all seems to work OK so far. Thanks very much.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Installed the latest beta and it solved my issue when running supertuxkart.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi now has built in legacy 4 support, that's going to the be the 304 series drivers, those will support nvidia 6xxx/7xxx cards until I believe 2017. Nvidia really does a good job supporting their hardware I have to say, about 5x better and longer support than amd/ati, keep that in mind when deciding which non free vendor you are going to support if you are going to use the non free binary blob as driver.

The detections should handle all this automatically, as they have done with legacy 3, 173, ie, sgfxi picks the right driver for your card, or beta driver, whatever, and installs latest current stable or beta when required.

Also, for people who need the 96.43.xx series, nvidia has released their last driver for that, with xorg 1.11 and 1.12 support, they will not release any new ones, so that's it, you'll need to move to nouveau when xorg hits 1.13 in your distro. But those are ancient cards now.

These changes are also integrated into smxi, so you'll see 3 legacy driver options, ancient, which is the 96 series, 5xxx-nvidia, which is for 5xxx cards, ie, the 173 drivers, which will be supported nvidia says until 2013, legacy 4, which is 6/7xxx series cards with 304.xx drivers. And current, if you are using a newer card.

So that's that update, it's in place before nvidia releases their legacy 4 branch and moves to > 304 for standard current, so all the detections and switchovers should be automatic.

To see a list of the legacy 6/7000 cards, look here: nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142

And that's about it, thanks to this debian forum thread for the right information and update links: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84642&p=452951#p452951

Happy trails.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next