Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

techAdmin
Reply Quote
kmathern, it looks like the nvidia installer returns an error code but completes fine.

You can verify this by running your patched driver run file but use this instead: sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.36-pkg0-custom.run || echo error: $?

My guess is you'll see: error: 139

as the return code from the installer. This helps explain however why the patch that was supposed to work from gentoo actually does work, but for sgfxi appears to fail, that's because sgfxi looks for return values from nvidia installer to determine if error occurred.

Is this a bug in the patch or in the installer? Hard to say. But this is part of the reason this patch series was so hard to figure out, fglrx used to do that trick too, report an error on success, or was it no error on failure, can't remember, it was one of them.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Looks like this is considered solved as there is a new legacy nvidia driver update 304.84 which builds successfully on x86_64 with no -f needed and no issues noted so far.
Mono
Reply Quote
I used sgfxi for the latest Liquorix kernel today. It said the latest driver (304.84) was not compatible with Linux 3.7. It suggested I use the -! 6 option, and it worked. It said I should notify the developer...
techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks mono, my error, I'll fix it, and thanks for actually notifying the dev as well.

update: fixed now... or should be.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
OK one thing I discovered with 304.84. If I log out to console, I get a totally black screen and can only type blindly to reboot the system. This also occurs in my plain debian Gnome 3 install as well so its not just KDE.

Should I file a bug report to nvidia?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5