Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

trulan
Reply Quote
sgfxi still fails for me too (304.64 drivers, 3.8.0 kernel). I was able to get the driver to build by extracting the NVidia driver and modifying the files manually, with the changes shown here: forums.funtoo.org/viewtopic.php?id=1659 Thanks to this thread for the link.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ok, here's the deal, the kernel guys went totally psychotic, and have changed core paths not once, but two times in a few weeks.

So the patches online have not had their usual settling in period. Already the kernel guys violated a convention by changing paths WITHIN a major release, ie, 3.7.5 - 3.76, then they changed those same @#@#! paths AGAIN in 3.8.

This means all the patches online are confused and mixed up, and not clean or complete.

What I've done now is separate the 3.7. and 3.8 patches, so at least I know which fails, however, you guys need to start doing some testing work yourselves, I'm not going to test each and every one of these configurations with 3.7.6 and 3.7.5 and 3.8 kernels, so you need to do the work yourselves, we've all been around for a while and it's time you start doing something to help.

sgfxi has downloaded the run package for your driver.

To extract it, use the commands you see:
bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.64.run --help

ie: bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.64.run --extract-only

then cd to the directory and apply whatever patch is in question, once you find one that actually is working for your specific kernel release, post a link to it here.

Inside that extracted directory is the installer file, run it once you get a successful application of the patch, and then start x and see if it worked, or whatever.

I'm not spending more time on this until one of you starts contributing help, I'm tired of it.
sedonix
Reply Quote
Well folks, towo's 3.8 kernel works perfectly on my 64bit sid but not on my 32bit sid on the same amd64 computer.

I am talking about the nvidia problem.

Is there a clue here somewhere?

My head hurts already.
trulan
Reply Quote
Now that you mention it, it's a 32 bit system that was giving me problems as well. Like I said, the 304.64 driver works perfectly for me with the above-linked patches on the funtoo forums and a 3.8 kernel.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
ok, here's the deal, the kernel guys went totally psychotic, and have changed core paths not once, but two times in a few weeks.

So the patches online have not had their usual settling in period. Already the kernel guys violated a convention by changing paths WITHIN a major release, ie, 3.7.5 - 3.76, then they changed those same @#@#! paths AGAIN in 3.8.

This means all the patches online are confused and mixed up, and not clean or complete.

What I've done now is separate the 3.7. and 3.8 patches, so at least I know which fails, however, you guys need to start doing some testing work yourselves, I'm not going to test each and every one of these configurations with 3.7.6 and 3.7.5 and 3.8 kernels, so you need to do the work yourselves, we've all been around for a while and it's time you start doing something to help.

sgfxi has downloaded the run package for your driver.

To extract it, use the commands you see:
bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.64.run --help

ie: bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.64.run --extract-only

then cd to the directory and apply whatever patch is in question, once you find one that actually is working for your specific kernel release, post a link to it here.

Inside that extracted directory is the installer file, run it once you get a successful application of the patch, and then start x and see if it worked, or whatever.

I'm not spending more time on this until one of you starts contributing help, I'm tired of it.

OK I'll test the patches and report back. I certainly do not blame you one bit for this confusion and do thank you for your effort
techAdmin
Reply Quote
trulan, I didn't see your posting, thanks.

So sgfxi now has the 3.8 funtoo patches, all patches have the link -s stuff built into the logic.

The 3.7 304.64 patch should be the one for 3.7.6

I can't say about 313.18 yet, I'm using separate patches for 3.7 and 3.8 to keep them apart.

I'm going to ignore 310.32 because there's no reason to mess with it.

Nvidia is also going to release updated drivers that handle this latest round of kernel guy discipline failure.

I don't know if the 173 patches will work for 3.7.6 or 3.8 kernels, if you have an older card, try it and see.

The other problem I'm having is that the patches online are VERY bad quality, and cannot just be inserted, they fail. Usually there are nice clean file downloads of the patches, but this junk I have to manually repair to try to figure out what actually is causing the issues.

I believe the 304.64 3.8 now will apply but I do not know if it works because the funtoo nv-mmap.c patch fails so I used a slightly different one from somewhere else.

This is by far the worst set of patches and how to's I have seen for any issues so far in doing sgfxi, usually all I have to do is find arch or gentoo patches, pop them in, and it's all perfect, but apparently something just isn't working this time around.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
please also note, PAY ATTENTION to what sgfxi prints on the screen, most of that information is logged as well, but it's pretty obvious when for example it looks to create the symbolic link, it will print out a variety of answers depending on the user system.

All the patches use that ln of header files to another path as well. But I can't spend more time on thhis, it's already cost me almost a day's actual work.
sedonix
Reply Quote
Congratulations! My 3.8, 304.64 is now OK on 686 as well as amd64, using sgfxi. And you were whining and ready to give in.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm not whining, this stuff today cost me a lot of lost time, and I find it absurd that the kernel guys are so incapable of keeping their interfaces clean and predictable.

It took several days to get this working for your single use case.

And that's only the 304.64 on 3.8, we still do not know about the 313.18, the 173.14.36, on 3.7.6 or 3.8.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
I'm not whining, this stuff today cost me a lot of lost time, and I find it absurd that the kernel guys are so incapable of keeping their interfaces clean and predictable.

It took several days to get this working for your single use case.

And that's only the 304.64 on 3.8, we still do not know about the 313.18, the 173.14.36, on 3.7.6 or 3.8.

I thank you for your work on this and I'm please to tell you that the patch for 3.8 for the 304.64 driver now works on amd64 for me.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next