Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
that was indeed a bug, or rather, a stupid mistake, on my part. Should now be working as expected.
anticapitalista
Reply Quote
Although using
:: Code ::

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option     "ignoreABI" "true"
EndSection

does work, you may find issues with graphics, for example in kde if you use it.

IMO it is best to downgrade to version in Testing and wait for nvidia to provide a fix.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
you are right there, I'll leave this for now, but thanks for the update.

And I won't add any support for legacy cards, though if anyone wants to try it with the override option in sgfxi for the error exit, and the edit of xorg.conf as noted, it would be useful information, since there is no way to know when nvidia will release xorg 1.11 supporting legacy drivers, with 1.10 it took quite a while to get the full legacy range except 71xxx supported.
reiner
Reply Quote
Just learned that a new beta Version might be available (280.04) which could work with the new xorg.
Have not tested it yet, but will downlaod and test it now

regards

Reiner
reiner
Reply Quote
Hmm, tried it.
This version doesn't run better than 280.03.

At my box xsane is dying when calling up the preview window and also libre-office is crashing soon after start.
In both cases kdm is restarted completely. Looks like nvidia still has some work to do.

regards

Reiner
orbit
Reply Quote
New Nvidia driver which solves xorg 1.11 problem

www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-amd64-275.28-driver-uk.html
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's not correct, reports I'm reading

www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166025

from towol say the 'new' 275 doesn't work on Debian Sid. I trust towol in this matter.

Anyway, obviously nvidia is having some problems making this work, otherwise they wouldn't have even spent time patching an older driver series in the first place, that's very unusual for them.

Normal behavior is for them to release pre release patched versions, or new betas, so it's quite obvious that this is going to be a non trivial fix.

I'm not going to add in those new/old patched drivers to sgfxi until I see consistent verification that they work on debian.
reiner
Reply Quote
Tried this "new" 275 driver also and unfortunately seems to be no better as the ones before on Debian sid.

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It's times like this I like to remind people that Debian Sid is NOT a standard user desktop, it's a debugging pool for Debian testing/stable.

So issues like this are totally fine and acceptable, and should be considered as Debian using Sid exactly as they intend it to be used. And under no circumstances should this be considered as some 'problem' that Debian has to 'fix'. This is, again, repeating, what Sid is for. Once the various issues are resolved, Xorg 1.11, in this case, will move to Debian Testing. Also, of course, while we all know that most users prefer to use the non free drivers for ATI/Nvidia, it's really not Debian's problem, or Xorg's, if a non free driver breaks, although it's somewhat childish in my opinion to not consider the end users when changing core ABI type stuff...

:: Quote ::
The code name for Debian's development distribution is "sid", aliased to "unstable". Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.

Please note that security updates for "unstable" distribution are not managed by the security team. Hence, "unstable" does not get security updates in a timely manner. For more information please see the Security Team's FAQ.

"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!
Debian Sid, debian.org

Certain mythologies that ignored this simple fact were propagated by the old Kanotix group, who moved on to spread the same myths as Sidux/Aptosid, and hopefully this misrepresentation of what Sid is meant for will not continue on into Siduction....

Sadly, I was a direct part of spreading this myth, something I feel fairly foolish about today.

Reiner, thanks for the confirmation that the fix doesn't fix it, that spares me from having to code in a weird little driver version hack to sgfxi, something I don't like doing.

So for now, I'll leave the red flag alert to nvidia/fglrx users who run Sid in smxi.

And sgfxi will continue installing the non abi method for standard nvidia, and will have no support for legacy (5xxx and older) nvidia cards.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

I feel no pain in using sid....because smxi has been my shield over the years.

I don't see myself as a tester BTW but like sid as its a moving target.

I too feel shame to admit to this err security "model" when I might be the official writer to a certain security wiki.

EDIT I see our aptosid mod has been very helpful (not)
aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1698&start=45
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next