Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

2.6.36-0.dmz.10 freezes on startup
azathoth
Reply Quote
Hi. This is my first prob since I've started using Liquorix and it was a good one.
Hard freeze during the first two seconds of bootup.
As near as I can tell, the crash was happening before logging was initialized. every imklog message is pointing to 2.6.36-0.dmz.9.
nada for dmz.10

< Edited by azathoth :: Nov 16, 10, 0:57 >

azathoth
Reply Quote
Well, fortunately I'm a bit hard headed so I installed the kernel a second time about 15 min ago and now it's all good. Not a single prob, logs are looking good. I'm really happy about it but a little bewildered.
Anyway, never mind, I'm full of sh#t lol.
You do great work man, thanks!
azathoth
Reply Quote
I thought all was well but apparently not. The last two reboots resulted in hard freezes again:

modprobe[953] exited with preempt_count 1
udevd-work [921]; /sbin/modprobe -b pci: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unexpected exit with status 0x000b

hardware configuration is in my sig, with the addition of Intel onboard hda audio, only peripherals plugged in are generic kb, mouse and Logitech Dual Action Controller. As far as modules, I have a pretty lean startup.
bionic client, LCDd, atd, hal, pulse audio, network manager, cups, gdm3, bootlogs, rsyslog.
No bluetooth stuff loading visibly, scanner services, etc.

Anyway, I guess I'll remove dmz.10 and wait and see on the next one.
dmz.9 is working well, no probs with it at all so far.
Like I said, this is the first one I've had any problems with, I've been using the kernels since LMDE went final. Not a bad average.
Thanks!

Update - For what it's worth, I just confirmed the same issue on LinuxMint10 mainstream edition.
I didn't have 2.6.36-0.dmz.9 to try out on it but 2.6.36-0.dmz.3 works quite well.
azathoth
Reply Quote
Issue persists with 2.6.36-0.dmz.11
Maybe a Sid/udev(164-2) thing? I don't know but they used to work great.
Thanks
Vincent
Reply Quote
I've been experiencing the same problems as well on my Debian Testing laptop; 2.6.36-0.dmz.9 works perfectly fine for me, while 2.6.36-0.dmz.10 and 2.6.36-0.dmz.11 both hang up on boot. I can't even access a tty...the only way out is REISUB. After Alt+SysRq+E, I am able to login from a tty, and although I can't do much with my system at this point, I have been able to at least save the dmesg output, in case it helps any.

Let me know what other info I should include to help troubleshoot the issue.

I've pasted dmesg output into a pastebin, here: pastebin.com/sJnSp2wU
choffee
Reply Quote
Just a me too. It crashes trying to modprobe a PCI device. There is a load of mentions of iwl in the stack trace so I think it may be something to do with that.

Works fine with 2.6.36-9 but 10 and 11 both crash in the same way.
damentz
Reply Quote
I'm trying to figure out what it is... try booting with the kernel parameter noautogroup in the meantime. If I still can't fix this bug, I'll remove the patches alltogether, they're clearly not ready yet for production.

The next kernel will have a newer version of the autogroup patch from Mike Galbraith (you can see my updates here: git.zen-kernel.org/zen-stable/)
azathoth
Reply Quote
Hi Damentz,
Tried adding the noautogroup parameter to dmz.11 and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Funny thing is, for me the kernel always boots the first time but then hangs on all subsequent boots and so it was when using the noautogroup parameter.
Thanks.
damentz
Reply Quote
I just pushed a new kernel, can you try 0.dmz.12?
azathoth
Reply Quote
Just installed dmz.12 and I'm getting the same thing as before. First boot is successful then it locks up on any subsequent boots. It seems to at exactly the same place each time. Wish I was able to get to a tty and I'd be able to tell you more. It sure seems like it's the same event across all three kernels though.
Thanks.

edit - I did notice some anomalies in my kernel logs that don't occur with dmz.9
I was getting some rather long lists like,

Nov 17 22:00:24 xarax kernel: audit: name_count maxed, losing inode data: dev=00:05, inode=4
Nov 17 22:00:24 xarax kernel: audit: name_count maxed, losing inode data: dev=00:07, inode=8
Nov 17 22:00:24 xarax kernel: audit: name_count maxed, losing inode data: dev=00:07, inode=4019

...etc., while trying to use 11 and 12
I don't know if that's of any help but they aren't present when I'm using dmz.9

< Edited by azathoth :: Nov 17, 10, 23:13 >

Page: 1, 2, 3  Next