Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

Vincent
Reply Quote
2.6.36-1.dmz.2 still freezes on me, unfortunately. :(

dmesg w/ autogroup: pastebin.com/k0sF7f0P
dmesg w/o autogroup: pastebin.com/Lb2TLiQY

I wish I could be of more help, but I have no idea where to start looking to find the source of the problem. Sorry for all this trouble, Damentz.
damentz
Reply Quote
Can you try the new kernels I uploaded to liquorix.net/test?
Vincent
Reply Quote
Awesome, it works! Well, not on the first go...I installed the 2.6.36-1.dmz.3 headers and image packages, rebooted, and it crashed on me; then I rebooted back into a working kernel, purged both the 1.dmz.3 headers and images packages, and re-installed them. Now my laptop boots without locking up! I have no idea why I had to re-install those packages to get it working, but I'm definitely not complaining!

:: Code ::
vincent@vincent-laptop:~$ uname -r
2.6.36-1.dmz.3-liquorix-amd64

Thank you Damentz! :)

Out of curiousity, I tried purging and re-installing the 2.6.36-1.dmz.2 kernel to see if I could get it working just by re-installing it, but it still locked up on me. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but I've just noticed that when purging a Liquorix kernel, it leaves a directory in /lib/modules behind, and I end up having to manually remove it. For example:

:: Code ::
vincent@vincent-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64 linux-image-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64
Purging configuration files for linux-image-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64 ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64
rmdir: failed to remove `/lib/modules/2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64': Directory not empty
dpkg: warning: while removing linux-image-2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64, directory '/lib/modules/2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64' not empty so not removed.
Processing triggers for readahead-fedora ...
vincent@vincent-laptop:~$ ls -a /lib/modules/2.6.36-0.dmz.14-liquorix-amd64/
.  ..  modules.devname
vincent@vincent-laptop:~$

damentz
Reply Quote
The folder is left behind whenever a file that was never included in the kernel package is left in the modules directory. On removal, dpkg realizes that the folder is not empty after erasing files that were owned by the package and decides to leave the folder be.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi's kernel cleanup tool also purges these extra directories, or should. Failure to cleanup something or other from a removed kernel is a bug and should be reported with the file name/path so that can be handled.
damentz
Reply Quote
h2 is right, leaving the modules folder is just silly. If someone wants to uninstall the kernel then reinstall, why would you want to install the kernel into a folder structure that has had external tampering?

Well, I looked in the postrm file; dpkg uses rmdir to remove the directory. Well, rmdir explicitly mentions in its manual: removes empty directories.

I adjusted it to use rm -r instead so following kernel packages will not leave folders around all willy nilly.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
rm -rf
is what you need, otherwise it will ask you for every file inside the directory, if they exist.
damentz
Reply Quote
Hmm, ok.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3