Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

MatthewHSE
Location: Central Illinois, typically glued to a computer screen
Reply Quote
Well, I set the FSB to 166 okay, but the memory settings could only be set in percents. So I set it to 200, which resulted in a DRAM failure when I restarted the computer. I couldn't even get a signal to the monitor, so I wasn't even able to get back into the BIOS to reset the memory to the previous values.

After checking in the instruction manual, I found I could reset the CMOS values by shorting out a couple of pins on the mobo. These pins are called CLR_CMOS, and are located just below the IDE cable connects on the motherboard. I got a paper clip, bent it out like an "L", held on to the straigt end, and hooked the crooked end so it made contact with both pins for about a minute. Booted everything back up, and the CMOS had been reset just fine. All has been working well since.

For anyone else reading this thread, I'm going to go back now and edit my first message to tell the exact parts I'm using. This is an excellent machine, so its definitely worth posting the details for others to read and go from.
Erik Johnson
Reply Quote
MathewHSE, nice fix on the CMOS resetting, I didn't know those boards supported that, guess that's one more reason to like Gigabyte (though I'm sure most pro level boards offer something like this, or I hope they do).

I posted how to check your windows IDE channel PIO and DMA settings in the Windows forum, that's something you might want to double check too, it can add quite a bit of performance to CD/DVD type drive units.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3