Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
you have to create an xorg.conf file to set xorg.conf to something else, you can make one, out of X, as root, with: sgfxi -z
then run whatever you want.

Running sgfxi <anything> means you don't want all to be dynamically detected, ie for nvidia, fglrx, specific xorg drivers.

the xorg.conf file created is very basic, just mainly the driver section.
iotaka
Reply Quote
Hi,

today I installed via smxi msttcorefonts,

the package has changed name now is: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
techAdmin
Reply Quote
updated, thanks. Once again Debian or someone manages to destroy the built up support knowledge base by a random renaming of a package for no particular good reason.

scripts updated now with tester for both version names. I find such pointless renamings depressing, since all they do s make obsolete every help and how to page in the world up to this date on this subject.
iotaka
Reply Quote
Is the same also for ubuntu

packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ttf-mscorefonts-installer

... rename package is not so wise ...
Crust
Reply Quote
techAdmin,

I absolutely agree with what you're saying.
People should never "fix what ain't broke".
iotaka
Reply Quote
The automatic procedure to install nvidia drivers with sgfxi fails, there is an error while removing nuveau modules with liquorix kernel 2.6.33

Starting X by hand the nvida proprietary drivers seems work fine.

for the log: paste.debian.net/62005/

glxgears
111822 frames in 5.0 seconds = 22364.336 FPS
115678 frames in 5.0 seconds = 23135.541 FPS
115609 frames in 5.0 seconds = 23121.729 FPS
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the installer did not fail, as you can see from the logs. The failure message you got was simply telling you that nouveau failed to be unloaded, which of course it did, because it's running in the kernel and can't be unloaded without blacklisting it on boot, or something like that.

The problem with nouveau is going to be very complicated to make elegant, it is much like a cancer in the kernel, and is impossible to remove while you are in console, because they are using a f#cking video driver to run a simple console, ie, kms if I remember this stuff right.

2.6.33 has the nouveau and radeon things built in, damentz doesn't have them fully enabled in his kernels, but I am unclear on how all this exactly needs to be handled, we'll have to start collecting data and testing methods.

I am frankly disgusted by the recent decisions of the kernel developers, they strike me as creating issues that remind me of windows more than anything else, requiring reboots to fix a problem, for example, which is what turning off nouveau in the kernel requires, that is pure windows, and I'm not interested in the stupid explanations the kernel guys are offering to excuse this garbage, which is as bad as dkms as far as I'm concerned.
iotaka
Reply Quote
I just tested the new version, now there are no error message but if I choose "start desktop" it not appear (X not start), if I reboot the system all is fine.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The problem with start desktop was not related to nouveau, it was because I forgot to stop the desktop if you are out of X for module building, then when sgfxi gives the command: service start kdm it gives an error because it is already running in some cases.

So I added in an X kill command for sgfxi when it is building a module and when X is not active in the session, ie, $DISPLAY is null.

also, I have now added starting nouveau and maybe radeon support for kms stuff / nvidia install.

Ideally, if it works, nouveau will fail to be removed, if it's running console, and then sgfxi will add nomodeset to grub files, and tell you you must reboot before continuing.

It is possible that debian will work without the reboot, I'm not sure, I should check that.
iotaka
Reply Quote
H2, new problem

the new procedure now ask if you want halt the pc or reboot it, I choose to halt it, but it not work, smxi terminate also the session terminate but the machine not halt.

After halt by hand the machine and run sgfxi all is fine.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next