Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
i need /var/log/smxi.log
to find the source of the error, please paste that, it's huge, just use the file upload feature of paste.debian.net

There is no problem in sgfxi, it simply did not get the -K option passed to it, so it installed to current kernel, as it should.

Also, you need to make sure the sgfxi.log file you posted was from the failed install, not the successful one, those rotate pretty much every install for sgfxi.log, so make sure the time on the smxi.log and sgfxi.log match roughly.

I don't see any errors in the code, the global is set if you do manual apt kernel install via smxi, and it's tested in graphics installer question.

oh, there is one other option, if a new gcc is used on a new major kernel version, which I believe is the case with 2.6.30 kernels, sgfxi has no real way to test for that, so that may cause errors and require a driver reinstall, but this issue would be rare, but it has occurred with 2.6.30 from 2.6.29, just in case that applies, but the smxi.log will show me that too.
Possible bug in sgfxi script
ko
Reply Quote
Hi,

I have installed the 2.6.30-7.dmz.1-liquorix-686 kernel + headers in Mepis 8.0.12 using your smxi script.
First I had to install initramfs-tools from the debian squeeze repository.
The script told me so. [As you know Mepis uses the lenny repos].
After upgrading initramfs-tools everything went fine.

Afterwards (after rebooting into this 2.6.30-7 liquorix kernel) I started 'sgfxi -c' to install the nvidia 190.42 driver.
Very shortly after starting (right after 'apt-get-y install build-essential. Done!' this Error message showed up:
:: Quote ::

Error: (230) Could not detect gcc version: /usr/bin/gcc-4.4. or it not installed.
Please let the script maintainer know, this may be a bug in the script

Indeed, I have gcc-4.3 installed. gcc-4.4 is not in the lenny repo, but it is in the squeeze repo.
I'm a bit hesitant to install gcc-4.4 from squeeze in view of its dependencies.
I did 'aptitude update && aptitude install gcc-4.4' after enabling the squeeze repo, but did not proceed with the installation; I bailed out

Is there a work around maybe? Or can the script be somehow changed or enhanced for use with Mepis 8 (lenny repository)

Thanks in advance,

Ko
techAdmin
Reply Quote
damentz was talking about compiling the kernel with gcc 4.3, I don't know if his latest did that or not, my guess is no. In this case sgfxi is wrong, it's not a bug in the script, it's the way it's supposed to be, you need gcc-4.4 to install the driver since that's what liquorix are now built with.

On the bright side, once Squeeze goes stable all the stuff will get synced up again.

To me the depends don't look that bad, mostly gcc / gcj stuff, is it more in Lenny -> squeeze gcc-4.4? if it's not, I wouldn't worry about it as long as those packages don't remove any lenny ones.
ko
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
damentz was talking about compiling the kernel with gcc 4.3, I don't know if his latest did that or not, my guess is no. In this case sgfxi is wrong, it's not a bug in the script, it's the way it's supposed to be, you need gcc-4.4 to install the driver since that's what liquorix are now built with.

On the bright side, once Squeeze goes stable all the stuff will get synced up again.

To me the depends don't look that bad, mostly gcc / gcj stuff, is it more in Lenny -> squeeze gcc-4.4? if it's not, I wouldn't worry about it as long as those packages don't remove any lenny ones.

You were right.
I enabled the squeeze repo and installed gcc-4.4 using aptitude. No problems there.
Used 'sgfxi -c' again and the 190.42 nvidia driver installed like clockwork.

Thanks, Ko
techAdmin
Reply Quote
oh, let the mepis people know what you did too, they are playing with liquorix over in the mepislovers forums.
eheon
Reply Quote
Hi,

Here's my sgfxi log:

[link]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Check your internet connection or ISP, the package url is correct, so the reason it failed to download is something in your Network.
Xserver-xorg-input-synaptics update
UncleVom
Reply Quote
This is using smxi with Debian sid.
When the synaptics driver updates from 1.1.2-1 to 1.2.0-1 there is a plain text change log that pops up and smxi appears to stop.
There is no indication what to do that I saw, but maybe I missed a warning somewhere. Anyway it requires pressing the "q" key to close and continue. This might not be obvious to some users.

Marcus
techAdmin
Reply Quote
added a note in the alert page, thanks, that should help a few people avoid confusion.
unable to create Xorg.conf on Squeeze
Jess
Reply Quote
Hi!

I tried sgfxi -N radeonhd and then sgfxi -n on Squeeze with my Radeon HD4770 and I got this error message and that log :
:: Quote ::

=========================================================
START sgfxi LOGGING:
Script started: 2009-12-20-18:58:02
Video Card Information: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740]
Video Card Type: 1002
Video Card Number:
Installing driver to kernel: 2.6.30-2-amd64
sgfxi script version: 4.10.02
sgfxi start options: -N radeonhd
SYSTEM_BASE: debian
SYSTEM_CODENAME: testing
DISTRIB_CODENAME: testing
DISTRIB_ID: debian
DISTRIB_RELEASE:
FG_DISTRIB_CODENAME: sid
FG_DISTRIB_ID: Debian
APT_TYPE: aptitude
INSTALL_TO_KERNEL:
KERNEL_VERSION: 2.6.30-2-amd64
KERNEL_BASE: 2.6
KERNEL_THREE: 2.6.30
KERNEL_THIRD: 30
IS_XEN: CONFIG_XEN=y
Function: create_x_conf - Primary: Start
xorg is present, no xorg.conf file
ERROR: (218) Something went wrong in the creation of your new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
Please let the script maintainer know.
START sgfxi LOGGING:
Script started: 2009-12-20-19:01:06
Video Card Information: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740]
Video Card Type: 1002
Video Card Number:
Installing driver to kernel: 2.6.30-2-amd64
sgfxi script version: 4.10.02
sgfxi start options: -n
SYSTEM_BASE: debian
SYSTEM_CODENAME: testing
DISTRIB_CODENAME: testing
DISTRIB_ID: debian
DISTRIB_RELEASE:
FG_DISTRIB_CODENAME: sid
FG_DISTRIB_ID: Debian
APT_TYPE: aptitude
INSTALL_TO_KERNEL:
KERNEL_VERSION: 2.6.30-2-amd64
KERNEL_BASE: 2.6
KERNEL_THREE: 2.6.30
KERNEL_THIRD: 30
IS_XEN: CONFIG_XEN=y
Function: create_x_conf - Primary: Start
xorg is present, no xorg.conf file
ERROR: (218) Something went wrong in the creation of your new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
Please let the script maintainer know.

I find it odd cos i know there is no more Xorg.conf in Squeeze (all is dynamically detected).
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next