Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

damentz
Reply Quote
:: Mono wrote ::
Today I got a random reboot and machine check errors logged on reboot. The latest kernels seem to be very unstable. No problem on windows.

Yes, MCE logged errors means your CPU is misbehaving. This article can guide you to revealing what the issue is: www.cnx-software.com/2019/07/17/machine-check-exception-mce-errors-linux/

Basically, either you CPU has a real bug, it's missing microcode updates, or it doesn't have enough voltage to operate. Most likely Windows is doing something different to avoid these errors.
Mono
Reply Quote
I tried installing mcelog which now seems to be part of collectd in Sid, but I didn't figure out how to actually use it since the mcelog command doesn't work.

I updated my bios a few months ago but didn't save my bios settings, so that may be related. Instead of overclocking I try to minimize power draw because fan noise is important to me, being an audio guy. So I had my voltage set low and used aggressive voltage sag compensation. But I started getting random reboots before I updated the bios so I think it is firmly a kernel related change. I don't know what change would be made to the kernel that would expose hardware errors in this scenario though, and in general this sort of thing seems to be resolved eventually by kernel updates based on previous experience. It seems to happen a low CPU usage, so I wonder if it is related to new power saving features in the kernel.

Usually the access denied error occurs afterthe first time I load a page. Then I am blocked on the reload. I don't know why that would happen other than maybe some sites don't like tracking disabled or adblocking. When I was able to test it I still got blocked even with all that turned off. I do lose my internet connection a few time a day which seems to be DHCP/IP related and has persisted with this ISP through 2 houses and multiple permutations of modem and router hardware.

In short, everything is broken all the time, and it doesn't seem to be entirely my fault. I just don't know how to troubleshoot all these weird problems.
Mono
Reply Quote
I installed the 470.86 driver, but it's the same story. The Acer HA270 shows up in the nvidia control panel but the desktop environment doesn't detect or use it.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3