Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

sgfxi + AMD + LMDE
Andjety
Reply Quote
Hello,

I'm a unable to install the ati driver using the script.

I used sgfxi -B and sgfxi alone.

The error says "DKMS part of installation failed".

The xserver start in safe mode (cinnamon).

sgfxi -n also fail (the xserver is unable to start)-

I don't see how to attach a file in the forum but i uploaded the required file needed for debugging on your server (as you ask to do). (Name of the machine: Roberto)

I guess it should work on my machine, because this driver works with ubuntu.

Thank you for your job, and hopefully it will work![/img]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I am unable to provide meaningful support for LMDE because it is neither Debian NOR Ubuntu. There are many very nice true debian distros out there, like siduction, vsido, antix, which is in particular a nice choice if you want debian testing. I would be very interested to see if your issue continues if you run one of those with sgfxi and fglrx.

If they have done something different with dkms then Clem needs to talk to me before suggesting his users run sgfxi. There has been NO communication from lmde/mint at all, just the assumption that I am interested in helping him for free.

If you want, you can run, after updating sgfxi: sgfxi -U

then, as regular user, not root: sgfxi --debugger

then upload that file to ftp.techpatterns.com/incoming
or use something like droopbox/mega and upload the gz file and give me the url.

I am not going to spend much time on issues that exist only on ldme until lmde starts providing me with actual developer information time and energy, in fact, I am this close to terminating, permanently, lmde support, because of the incredible arrogance and rudeness of lmde to add and recommend sgfxi without even bothering to see if there might be issues that are related to lmde, which there ARE.

FGLRX is also a problem, but in this case, dkms error strongly suggests what I have long suspected, lmde is doing something non standard, like blending ubuntu and debian packages.

I'm going to add some more logging to the debugger as well I think. But what I will not do is track down or spend a second of my time helping lmde make something work that is their fault, that they did differently than debian, or maybe also ubuntu. If that is the case, the sheer audacity of clem expecting me to reverse engineer whatever hacks he has filled ldme with is staggering to the mind.

Consider this a warning to all lmde users, lmde is NOT debian. Failure to provide the requested debugger gz file terminates this discussion, but the debugger has nothing so far about dkms, so it's doubtful it will help unless a sgfxi log file shows the error more clearly.

The true test would be: install a real debian distro: upgrade it to current. Install debian's dkms fglrx driver, using sgfxi -d (which does that, using the debian package and methods), then see if things work, reboot, see if dm works, then run: sgfxi -B

if that successfully removed the fglrx dkms package and installs fglrx beta, then the problem is lmde', not debian, not sgfxi. I have no way to know however since I do not run lmde, nor do I have any intention of running it, since it's not debian. Debian distros can be safely upgraded using only debian repositories, any distro that cannot be so upgraded is not debian, no matter how many times they use the word debian in their names, and the last mint/lmde install I tried upgrading blew up and I had to reinstall with debian. That was also the last lmde install I will ever do.
Andjety
Reply Quote
Thank you for your answer.

I already posted the file requested in your server (or at least i believe i did).

Here it is:
webcloud6.zaclys.com/public.php?service=files&t=34ce8a426f5fb95eb6d4671b0a707f8e

Actually, i tryed LMDE, because i failed to install fglrx under debian testing. But i didn't try your script with debian because i didn't knew it exists.
LMDE is recommending your script, as the unique way to install the ati driver.

My LMDE installation is with the Jessie repository.

May be i will try again with debian testing (or have a look at the others distro you are talking about.)

My aim actually is to use an updated version of gnome-shell with my ati card working (and i was trying to avoid ubuntu)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=157163

notice there, the OP posts a dkms failure? nobody helps or actually sees the issue, just suggests some totally non related options? That's lmde 'support'.

Please realize that while I cannot prevent clem / lmde from adding sgfxi to their distro, the idea that them doing that has anything with sgfxi actually working with ldme/mint is absurd. However, due to the amount of time ldme users have been costing me lately, I may have to just stop support internally in sgfxi, though I'll give it a bit longer and see how it goes.

If they were less lame, and more professional, they would have contacted me, done development testing work, checked to see if this actually does work, passed along issues and fixes, etc. Oddly enough, exactly what ikey and his group did when HE first made LMDE, before clem ruined it. The reason sgfxi even supports ubuntu at all, and mint/ldme, was because of the direct energy, communication, and involvement, of the actual lmde developer, ikey, who is long gone from the project, he quit in disgust at how badly clem hacked up debian in lmde, and htat was the end of any actual communications between me and mint/lmde.

I would much prefer a raw test with straight debian to determine if there are any actual issues.

I assume you installed the fglrx dkms package first, i have not received any debian user reports of failure with that, but that doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means they did not report it.
Andjety
Reply Quote
I understand.

When i try again a testing with debian, i will inform you here if it works or not.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Just to be clear, with a correctly made debian packge, fglrx dkms, what should happen when it gets removed/purged at first by sgfxi, is that it should be gone from the system. dkms used to be a problem in its early days because the packages left dkms cruft that made trying to install new drivers fail, but debian fixed that issue years ago.

So there are really only two possible things with this dkms failure: one, the package name does not contain flgrx/catalyst, and so sgfxi does not know about it to remove it, and 2: when the package is removed purged it leaves cruft behind that makes the system think dkms fglrx is still workign and present.

Hard to know which case is which without a lot of debugging time, setting up an lmde, buying a new fglrx card, etc, and doing lmde's work for them in terms of sgfxi support, and that's simply not going to happen.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Andjety, it would be useful for me to see if a straight debian testing install, with first dkms fglrx, via: sgfxi -d
then a reboot, etc, then a straight: sgfxi -B
works or does not work.

In other words, recreate the situation, install dkms catalyst/fgrlx, then start x/desktop, verify works, then run: sgfxi -B
and see if you see the dkms removal failure or not.

If you don't, it's an lmde specific issue, or an ubuntu/lmde/mint specific one.

If you do see issues, it's a debian issue, which sgfxi should try to fix, but at this point, I have no idea what to look for and what to try to debug there.
Andjety
Reply Quote
OK, i will do that.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm also interested to see if that multiplied Device item in xorg.conf comes from an lmde bug or if it's straight Xorg issue with the xorg generator.

So if you do it, post no matter the outcome: sgfxi --debuigger
Andjety
Reply Quote
I did it.

Here is the debugger file:
webcloud6.zaclys.com/public.php?service=files&t=a514e1fece64a31b6e2197041021c350

It didn't worked.

The error was not exactly the same, but the result was.

Error was "failed to install" fglrx.

I can see the driver is installed, but it does not work properly.
I can't use the amd control center and windows are slow to move.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next