Page: 1, 2  Next

ckosloff
Reply Quote
I think that I have to switch to Firefox for work purposes, since an app I have to use is so stupid to identify iceweasel for a different browser, and they insist they need Firefox.
So I was thinking: I am going to install in a test machine anyway, because that is where I use stupid apps, so, why not backup bookmarks, my .mozilla folder will be in home anyway, simply purge iceweasel and install Firefox from tarball?
BTW, when I went to Firefox site with iceweasel I got message: Congratulations! You are using the latest version of Firefox.
So Mozilla is not so stupid as the app that I am obliged to use, and iceweasel in Debian testing is the latest version, and I never had any problems with it, nor experienced performance issues.
I still have to switch for some stupid reason.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Just download useragent switcher:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/
Then add my useragent switcher list:
techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html

then switch useragents to a firefox one.

All it's doing is sniffing your useragent string, and doing it poorly.

Personally I prefer firefox of course because when I set it up right, it all works as expected, and updates itself etc.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I am moving forward with instructions to switch to Firefox permanently, will give it a shot in my test machine.

:: Code ::

StartupNotify=true' > /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

Think that there is typo in instructions here, should be 'true'
techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, there is no typo, you simply enter that entire single quoted block of text and then hit enter.

On a console, if you echo 'something
more
and less
and more' > some file.txt

the entire block is echoed to file.txt.

the single quote is not a missing quote around 'true' but rather the closing quote of the block.

Make sure however that the paths/file names have not changed since this was put up.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Did enter that file verbatim but getting error:
The desktop entry file
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
has not Type=...entry.

Could not upload snapshot from computer.
In fact it has Type=Application
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm going to split this part of the thread off because it's not related as far as I can see to how to install firefox.

(updated path to icon, it's changed, this is correct as of firefox 25)

:: Code ::
cat /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Surf the internet
Exec=/opt/firefox/firefox %u
Terminal=false
Icon=/opt/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
StartupNotify=true

ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: craigevil wrote ::
aus9
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
or apt-get install flashplayer-mozilla from debian-multimedia.org
Either way it gets updated when doing apt-get upgrade or aptitude full-upgrade
Downloading it from adobe should always be a last resort.

bits.debian.org/2013/06/remove-debian-multimedia.html
Although apparently deb-multimedia.org works.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
I'm going to split this part of the thread off because it's not related as far as I can see to how to install firefox.

Where is it going?
I modified desktop entry according to latest instructions, no more echo.
I updated icon path, there is only updater.png there, which I used.
There are no errors, but it brings up Firefox in something like Norsk, maybe I downloaded wrong package? But I don't think so.
Anyway I think that I can change default language, how please?
I double-checked and there is no error on my part, damn mozilla got it wrong, will have to submit report.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
A few things, quickly: the flash plugin is not being updated by adobe anymore, and many websites do not work, or crash now with flash.

This is because there is currently only one browser that supports the new adobe flash plugin api, chrome, and probably soon opera, as soon as opera switches to the 'blink' chrome rendering engine. When firefox will get support for the new api on linux firefox is unknown, obviously they have to do it at some point.

The path for firefox icon has changed, it took me all of 10 seconds or so to find the new one, that explains why my firefox icon vanished, heh. The new path is:

/opt/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png

The updater icon has nothing to do with the firefox icon, no idea what it's for, I guess it's the swirling circle thing that rotates when it's updating or something.

How you managed to get the norwegian version of firefox is beyond me, but apparently you did.

I downloaded a mozilla tarball extracted it and ran it and it was all normal. You'll have to figure out why you got the norwegian version, type: firefox.com and download it, but you may have triggered some setting, what you did I cannot tell you, nor can i tell you what in your system triggered this event, given that millions of people download firefox daily, and probably hundreds grab the linux tarball daily, it's a given that whatever happened there is on your end, not firefox, so don't waste their time on a false bug report, figure out what your system is doing and fix it.

[updated icon paths in postings]. - also, note, there are smaller icons in the browser/chrome/icons/default but I suggest using the big one, the os resizes it anyway. I have no idea why firefox is placing their icons in two different places in the browser directory, that's a kind of typical thing for geeks I find.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
It's easy to understand why I got the Norsk version, Thor sent it, realizing that I was posting here.
Really, I downloaded tarball twice and thoroughly checked that it was the Linux English US version, why I got something else is beyond me, maybe tomorrow it won't happen.
I am aware of Adobe's lack of support for Linux, my problem is that I have to use a website entirely built on Flash, talk about standards compliance. The damn thing still works on my 64-bit system, dunno for how long, no luck on 32-bit with Debian's non-free plugin, there is no suitable deb from Adobe, maybe I should try to morph their rpm with alien.
I decided to give the user agent switcher a go, so aborted Firefox installation, and went back to iceweasel.
BTW there is no need to download that plugin, it is in Debian repo now, also imported your xml file.
Moved latest Firefox up to the top, saved and visited site again, still says that Firefox not installed and sends to Mozilla for installation, but Mozilla reports: Congrats! You have the latest version...
That is not the only issue with that site but the rest is too off-topic.
Regarding icon it is a moot issue, that icon is on that path and it works, just like any other png would.
Regarding Chrome I use Chromium, guess that I became a diehard fanboy.
Page: 1, 2  Next