Page: Previous  1, 2

techAdmin
Reply Quote
If you are aware of adobe's lack of support for linux, you should be aware that they are not releasing new flash players for the old api used by firefox, so the only flash players you will find are the old ones.

The only solution currently to sites requiring flash newer than 11.2 I believe is to use chrome, which comes packaged with the new flash player / api. That's the only option I am aware of, though I don't spend much time tracking this matter. This is why I recently added a google chrome installer to smxi, it installs the real google chrome, including the built in flash plugin. Note, chrome phones home and reports user surfing behavior, just fyi, that matters to some people so it's good to say it openly so there's no confusion.

I don't update the useragent switcher list with every new chrome/firefox anymore, not since that ridiculous version number inflation game started, but I do update the list a few times a year, but if there is a site that is looking specifically for firefox 25, that's kind of absurd, so I'm not going to spend any further time on that issue here. I'll also split this thread since these issues aren't related for the most part to the actual firefox install thread, and I've updated the paths there that have changed.

I've updated the main posting to indicate the various things that have changed since I put it up, and updated paths etc, the flash information, the legacy 64 bit information is now noted as legacy.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Just one question, Debian makes it clear that Chromium is Chrome without the tracking/spyware $h!t.
That is why I use it instead of Chrome, but I don't know if Chromium has that flash thing too, if it doesn't I will have to switch, long live Big Brother!.
One last thing, I checked that site with another 32-bit machine with only Jessie and iceweasel, it has the Debian flash plugin non-free and it worked.
So issue is not related to Debian plugin not working on 32-bit, I must have screwed my test machine when aborted installation of Firefox, probably when I unlinked to firefox plugins, will see if I can fix otherwise I will have to rebuild that machine, nothing much in there anyway, I will have to start using a clone utility like Clonezilla to rebuild every time I mess up system with testing.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I don't know if google chromium ships with the flash plugin, but it's easy to find out, if it's in the main repos, it doesn't have flash, because flash is nonfree.

:: Code ::
apt-cache policy chromium
chromium:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 31.0.1650.63-1
  Version table:
     31.0.1650.63-1 0
        500 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
        200 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages

As you see, it's in the 'main' repos, which means it has nothing that debian considers non free software in it, that's by definition, if it were non free, it would be in the nonfree repos.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Just to clarify.
This issue is not related to 32-bit.
It is related to lack of SSE2 support in Athlon CPUs.
This has been clarified here:
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=109230
I have another old 32-bit machine with even less memory but with an Intel processor and it works.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::

As you see, it's in the 'main' repos, which means it has nothing that debian considers non free software in it, that's by definition, if it were non free, it would be in the nonfree repos.

I can access a website completely built on flash with chromium.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
then you have flashplugin package installed, that's all.

Debian does not put anything into the 'main' repositories that is not free software. Flash is not free software, therefore debian's chromium does not contain flash.

I don't know anything about chromium though technically, but debian has very strict rules about what is allowed into their main repositories, those rules are absolute and without exception.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I never installed anything from Adobe, flash plugin non-free was installed by smxi.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
then chromium is using flashplugin-nonfree, it can't be anything else.

However, this completely defeats the purpose of using google chrome, which is that google chrome is the only linux browser currently made that supports the new adobe flash api interface, and is the only way you can, at least easily, get the new adobe flash versions.

This should be changing this year, I can't see opera and firefox still not supporting the new api methods, flash has to be up to date to be safe. and often doesn't work if old versions are used.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::

However, this completely defeats the purpose of using google chrome...

That is exactly what I am trying to convey.
Page: Previous  1, 2