Page: 1, 2  Next

Bootsplash after installing kernel
mforminio
Reply Quote
Hey, loving the kernel so far.. noticed a decent amount of free ram as compared to stock ubuntu and properly installed my ati driver. One thing im not liking is that after ive installed liquorix kernel I get a bootplsah with tux and the debian symbol before ubuntu boots up.. is there anyway to remove this?? Thanks!

P.s I remember it installing grub-legacy upon the installation ofliquorix for some reason and imI'm assuming that's what I'm seeing.. Can I safely remove the old grub without damaging my system?

Update: so its not grub, its an image in the Kernel im seeing.. again, anyway to disable it?
mforminio
Reply Quote
bump?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nobody answered because there is no actual question. The boot images are part of the kernel, those little tux penguins or whatever, whatever ubuntu does on their boot sequence I have no idea. The actual grub boot image where you select the os / kernel to boot, is a debian thing with default debian grub.

You should be running grub-pc unless you have a very good reason to use grub legacy at this point, and that has nothing to do with the grub stuff.

ubuntu does something annoying re hiding the boot data under some pointless image or gui like thing, but that's not related to liquorix unless that's something in the kernel, I don't remember since I never use those graphic hiding of boot processes things, I want to see the boot process, it's good information, doesn't hide errors etc.

If the system is not correctly configured or if the kernel does not support that booting pseudo progress bar thing that hides the boot up sequence output, maybe it's kernel related, I don't know, but I never use that stuff so I have no idea.

You need to verify what grub is running your system, if you have the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg then you are using grub 2, grub-pc aka in debian/ubuntu. If you have only /boot/grub/menu.lst then you have grub-legacy, aka, grub 1.
mforminio
Reply Quote
Thanks for the response, kinda new to this so I re-installed ubuntu as a clean install. Then installed liquorix right after. No changes to grub or anything to ubuntu and when I boot into the stock kernel I dont see tux, but once I boot into liquorix hes there. Kinda OCD about little things like that and since it boots normal on the default kernel and since grub hqsnt been touched, I can only assume it has something to do with liquourix. Not sure.

Saw this on vsido.org "I have made several cosmetic changes and a new grub menu image and all files are up to todays Sid level". This is maybe what im seeing?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'll clarify a few things:

if you installed ubuntu you have grub-pc, aka grub 2.

The tux penguins you see on boot are images that appear briefly when booting starts, after you let grub start the os/kernel.

I have no idea what ubuntu does or doesn't do with their boot screen, or grub graphics.

If you want to be obsessive about something, learn to love/like the non graphics boot process, where you can see each and every item that the kernel processes during the boot process. That's far more interesting than watching some fake bar move in a fake way across your screen as it actually boots, that's not really related to much of anything and certainly doesn't satisfy obsession nearly as well.

But I have little idea beyond this what you are asking, the kernel is the kernel, grub is grub, and if it starts your desktop, that's fine, what it does between grub appearing and the login screen for your desktop appearing is just some extra data in the process, personally I view the console text mode boot messages as key indicators of the health of my system and of any glitches that might be occurring, and have no idea why anyone would find it to be a feature to remove that in favor of a blank graphic that has no real information on it other than probably being the same color as the eventual desktop.

But again, I really do not know what the question is, grub is grub, and if it's a current ubuntu, that is grub 2, grub has graphics sometimes but that is not related to the kernel, that's something re grub in the system. The kernel shows one tux penguin per cpu/core/ht virtual core with liquorix, damentz didn't want to restore the groovy old blue zen kernel image but there is a subtle thing with the new one for those with eyes that note such things.

Beyond that, I see nothing wrong, no bugs, no failures, everything seems to be working as expected unless I am misunderstanding you completely.

work means; grub appears, you select the kernel, say liquorix, you hit enter, it boots, your login screen eventually appears, you login, and do whatever. It sounds to me like your system is working.
mforminio
Reply Quote
I dont really know how to explain it but someone else also mentioned it on this forum here [link] Its the one tux logo per cpu core im seeing. I also tried booting in verbose by removing the quiet splash from grub, tux logos are still present.The question is, how can I get rid of the tux logos from showing? If at all possible. Thanks for the help!

On an unrelated note, im enjoying this kernel a lot and like that someone donates a lot of their free time to give us a better kernel, but what exactly is different in liquorix? I know it now uses the default cfs since bfs has been found to have a bug, and I already use bfq for disk i/o, what else is changed? I haven't seen much documentation on the matter
techAdmin
Reply Quote
of course you can't get rid of the tux logos, they are built into the kernel.

I suggest you look outside into the wide blue horizons of our world and find something that is actually worth worrying about. If you need a list of things to start off I can provide you one, it won't contain the presence or absence of tux logos on boot however.

This tux logo presence is a FEATURE, not a bug.

You can learn how to compile your own kernels and package them into debian compatible installer files and then compile the kernels without those logos, but that's up to you, nobody here is going to spend a second more on something that is simply not even worth spending a second on.

Case closed.
mforminio
Reply Quote
Why the hostility? I asked very simple questions 1) What it was and 2) If I could possibly disable it.. I never said OMGZZ PLZ REMOVE DIZ LOGO NAOOO!!!!.. I asked a simple question as a new user to the kernel. I came here for the smallest bit of advice.. not for your philosophical ideals on what I should be worrying about, but thanks
techAdmin
Reply Quote
First of all, it was almost impossible to even figure out what you were talking about in the first place. If your technical level isn't high enough to properly verbalize issues (ie, you didn't even know if it was grub, grub legacy, whatever) then you certainly should not be concerned with superficial presence or absence of boot images, I would spend that time learning how the stuff works, then you can know enough to resolve or ignore issues on your own.

Once you have this understanding, you can then move onto posting actual bug/issue reports, and with that understanding, you would of course not ask the question you asked.

My annoyance is simply from having time wasted for no reason or benefit.

Note that I had to pull out each piece of information from you, bit by bit, just to find out what you are talking about in the first place. Then it comes down to you just not liking a graphic in the boot process, which is nothing.

I realize this is a learning curve, but you in turn need to respect people's time more when asking for help or issues, and the best place to start on that is to not try to run before you can walk, ie, understand the systems before commenting on features or lack of features.

There's a reason the main kernel guy didn't spend a second on this thread by the way.
mforminio
Reply Quote
How was I supposed to "properly verbalize" or know that it was a kernel feature if I've never seen this in any other kernel used.. and ive used debian, ubuntu, opensuse, fedora, linux mint, and crunchbang to name a few. Never saw this before so I was unsure of where it came from (kernel, grub, etc).

Secondly ive been using linux on an off for about 6 years and know a sufficient amount.. I didn't just decide one to to install the noob-untu and play with kernels because I was bored so dont talk down to me.

Lastly, if you get this worked up by helping other then maybe you shouldn't be the one helping. I spent enough time here and am not looking for a pointless argument that your high and mighty self wont let you lose anyway, bye.
Page: 1, 2  Next