Liquorix 3.5 Depends on gcc-4.7, not in Ubuntu
klaxian
Reply Quote
The new Liquorix 3.5 kernels seem to depend on gcc-4.7, but it is not available on Ubuntu and derivatives like Linux Mint yet. gcc-4.7-base is in the repository, but the gcc-4.7 meta package and cpp-4.7 are not. There was a similar problem with the dependencies for Liquorix 3.4 (techpatterns.com/forums/about2134.html), but the package was rebuilt for gcc-4.6 which solved the problem. Ubuntu 12.10 will have gcc-4.7, but it's not out yet. I realize Liquorix is targeted to Debian, but I think a lot of Ubuntu users enjoy it as well. Any chance of relaxing the requirement back to gcc-4.6 for a while until the new version of Ubuntu is out at least? Thanks.
damentz
Reply Quote
This is intentional, I delayed gcc-4.7 for one kernel release. You can use the past kernel in the meantime until Ubuntu 12.10 comes out entirely. Gcc 4.7 contains a lot of performance improvements that Michael proved on phoronix.com - I would rather not delay 4.7 any further.
klaxian
Reply Quote
No worries. Thanks for letting me know.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I was able to cherry-pick gcc-4.7 from the Ubuntu 12.10 beta repository so kernel 3.5 is running fine now.