Page: 1, 2  Next

Ubuntu Doesn't have gcc-4.7
klaxian
Reply Quote
The latest liquorix 3.4.0 depends on gcc-4.7, but Ubuntu and variants are still on gcc-4.6. Any chance you can change the dependencies? Thanks.
gcc 4.7
Flesh
Reply Quote
LMDE has the same issue; I upgraded gcc and cpp from unstable

Note: you must have unstable repos enabled, and preferences set to use it.

:: Code ::

sudo apt-get -t unstable install gcc cpp

in ubuntu 12.04 you can do this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7

I had to uninstall and reinstall a lot of apps; this upgrade effects a lot of software.
klaxian
Reply Quote
Good idea. Actually, I was aware of that option, but I'd prefer not to mess with the compiler version used on my system. I can't take the chance that something could break right now or that it may be time consuming to re-install and debug. I don't think I'm the only one that this affects.

linux-headers doesn't actually need gcc-4.7 specifically, right? I assume making it depend on gcc-4.6 or gcc-4.7 would work just as well. Isn't this just a packaging issue?
Work around
Flesh
Reply Quote
You are right, at least I do not think it requires 4.7, the kernel didn't; my guess is that the machine was setup that way, and was not meant to compile that way, that happens on a Development machine, you upgrade to the latest version of a compiler to test something out, and forget about the consequences; all I was doing was giving people a work around that may run into this; and it was a pain to do it this way as I stated, but I'm a computer programmer, and I could have just recompiled it, and moved on; but that's not my nature, I figured I'd give unstable a shot; I already have to run some apps from there anyway; so the correct way to fix this, would be to recompile it without that dependency; or just run the previous version till they recompile it, which I'm sure will be as soon as they realize they did this; so tomorrow this may be a moot point; but we do need to let them know this, just in case they don't; not sure if this is the place or not; but its a start.
perolozac
Reply Quote
Same problem here too. It was bad enough I was forced to upgrade from gcc-4.5 to gcc-4.6 (very specific setup here, don't ask), I really don't want to have to upgrade half of my system yet again.

Is there any specific reason liquorix has to depend on the "latest and greatest" gcc?
damentz
Reply Quote
Oh wow, well this isn't good. I'll rebuild with gcc-4.6 and use 4.7 on the kernel 3.5 release instead. This will take a while since I literally just finished building a new kernel and then read this thread.

However, just for accuracy's sake, gcc-4.7 is available in Debian Testing, so I'm confused why LMDE doesn't yet have it available.
LMDE
Flesh
Reply Quote
LMDE is a month behind debian testing since they added the testing and incoming repos, this made it more stable.

I forgot to say, I'm using the incoming not testing, so its at least a month and a half behind now, at most, there might be two weeks from incoming to testing, so it might be ok by 3.5; whereas Ubuntu will not change till 12.10 comes out in November, so why the need for 4.7?

This will upset some people, but they can add in the PPA for Ubuntu, I tested both with 4.7 and see no issues.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can have multiple gcc versions installed

inxi -SIxx
System:    Host: system Kernel: 3.2.0-13.dmz.2-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
           Desktop: KDE 4.7.4 (Qt 4.7.4) Distro: sidux 2007-01 - Χάος preview 4 (200702162228)                     
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 10 days Memory: 594.8/1008.2MB Runlevel: 3 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 alt: 4.2/4.4/4.5
           Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.3

Not sure why this is such a problem for ubuntu users, all that happens on debian is that when you install the new gcc, the default link to gcc is to the newest version, unless you change it. But you can use any of the gccs in the system. But then again, this is why I use debian....

sgfxi has used this fact for years, it just looks to see if the required gcc version is present, then changes the system CC value for the script duration to use the right gcc version.

This isn't really rocket science. If you need to compile something with a certain gcc version, then you just do the same procedure.

I believe in fact it does matter which gcc you use, new versions have different features and optimizations, though I'm not an expert, nor do I care much, but it is my impression that compiler versions do make a decent difference at times.
Debian gcc-4.7
Jos.v.W.
Reply Quote
My Debian Sid software has no gcc-4.6 dependencies anymore.
Please stay with gcc-4.7 for the kernel.

Regards,
Jos v.W.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's not correct:

apt-cache policy gcc-4.6
gcc-4.6:
  Installed: 4.6.3-1
  Candidate: 4.6.3-1
  Version table:
     4.6.3-7 0
        500 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
 *** 4.6.3-1 0
        990 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I checked this as of a few minutes ago, as you can see, both sid and testing still have gcc-4.6

apt-cache policy gcc-4.7
gcc-4.7:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.7.0-8
  Version table:
     4.7.0-12 0
        500 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ sid/main i386 Packages
     4.7.0-8 0
        990 http://mirror.peer1.net/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages

You're confusing the default gcc version with the presence of these packages in sid:

apt-cache show gcc
Package: gcc
Source: gcc-defaults (1.118)
Version: 4:4.7.0-6
Installed-Size: 41
Maintainer: Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Provides: c-compiler
Depends: cpp (>= 4:4.7.0-6), gcc-4.7 (>= 4.7.0-1~)

so the default gcc package is for 4.7, but that's not important, you can install 4.6 easily, or 4.7. Not sure about 4.5, I think that's still in sid/testing. Yes it is, I checked, sid and testing still have gcc 4.5 as well.

Sometimes it's useful to actually check things before posting them as facts on the internet, works better that way.
Page: 1, 2  Next