Page: 1, 2  Next

Please enable SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
mau
Reply Quote
Hi damentz

first of all thank you for the good work.

I'm missing those ugly squeaks coming from my speakers... in some laptop without a speaker the pcspkr driver alone is not enough; the Debian configuration is as follows:

CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE=1

Thank you

mau
damentz
Reply Quote
As much as I'd like to do that, the HDA beep is the most horrifying thing I've ever heard. Imagine listening to music, then you hit backspace on your keyboard in a terminal, and this screeching loud beep emits from your speakers and wakes everyone up in the house or apartment complex.

No, I don't think it's a good idea to enable beeps through speakers and headphones. Dealt with this issue and was happy to turn it off. I'm pretty sure I'm saving lives by disabling it in the configuration.
mau
Reply Quote
I know this is a quite useless thread... but by eventually enabling such options you are not forcing people to hear the beeps at full volume: when HDA beep input is enabled the mixer gains a dedicated volume control and mute switch, one could even keep it always muted.

I often used beeps to get quick warnings from the console (i.e.: beep when a host becomes available, get warned by BIOS when battery is too low even if I'm not watching the screen, etc.), I'll find out some other way to achieve such results.

Won't insist on this anymore, thank you

Mau
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I have to second damentz's horror. I can think of few more horrible things than having system sounds come through the speakers, I strive to turn off ALL system sound alerts, and the idea of turning them all off, then having one mysteriously appear, that's a nightmare. Remember, just because you happen to know where the sound comes from and maybe how to disable doesn't meant most people do.

I give liquorix a big thumbs up for turning off such a horrible thing.

Some 'features' really are generally bad ideas, and if you are inthe tiny subset that actually wants such things, I'd say either a recompile or just using the debian kernel if it has that enabled is the way to go.

I have to assume that there is a set of people who never use their computer as an audio component.

Thanks for saving lives damentz.
dark-D
Reply Quote
i didn't know that you disabled that awful sound, thanks damentz. i'm on the same page as you on this. because i have powerful headphones and that beep almost gave me a heart attack. i will like to mention that if i turned down the volume for it to 0 or use the mute in alsamixer, the beep was still enabled.
mau
Reply Quote
Hmmm... I never loved such strict "I'll choose what's better for you" policies, they sound too much like "you're an idiot" to me.

But this is your home, the decision is up to you. As for me, now I know something more about you.

Bye, mau

P.S.: the volume control and the mute switch actually work like a charm, if they didn't it would be a wonderful chance to file a bug.
damentz
Reply Quote
The mute and volume switches didn't work for me when that option was enabled. I had to literally disable the module or turn it off through a modprobe config file.

And still, turning this feature on would be a heart stopping surprise to everyone, even if they figured out how to disable it later.
aus9
Reply Quote
mau

I have an intel but don't have the beep mode but you may do

so if you have time try this ...and post full output

:: Code ::

su
modinfo -p snd-hda-intel

no guarantees but lets see what we can see eh?

if it my method works....you will not need to re-compile kernel
mau
Reply Quote
:: aus9 wrote ::

su
modinfo -p snd-hda-intel

# modinfo -p snd-hda-intel
index:Index value for Intel HD audio interface. (array of int)
id:ID string for Intel HD audio interface. (array of charp)
enable:Enable Intel HD audio interface. (array of bool)
model:Use the given board model. (array of charp)
position_fix:DMA pointer read method.(0 = auto, 1 = LPIB, 2 = POSBUF, 3 = VIACOMBO). (array of int)
bdl_pos_adj:BDL position adjustment offset. (array of int)
probe_mask:Bitmask to probe codecs (default = -1). (array of int)
probe_only:Only probing and no codec initialization. (array of int)
single_cmd:Use single command to communicate with codecs (for debugging only). (bool)
enable_msi:Enable Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) (int)
power_save:Automatic power-saving timeout (in second, 0 = disable). (int)
power_save_controller:Reset controller in power save mode. (bool)
align_buffer_size:Force buffer and period sizes to be multiple of 128 bytes. (bool)
snoop:Enable/disable snooping (bool)

This is the codec:

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC269VB

Thanks a lot!

mau
aus9
Reply Quote
ok well it looks like you don't have one yet

what I was looking for was

beep_mode:Select HDA Beep registration mode (0=off, 1=on, 2=mute switch on/off) (default=1)

so have a read of this and if interested we are going to try to setup a just a model=string.

techpatterns.com/forums/about1813.html

so with root powers create a file called
/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

its contents are between the dashes

-------
options snd-hda-intel model=string
------

but you replace "string" with a match to your hardware

before I go on.....if the model string does not work you either try another one or delete the file...it should not...normally destroy your sound so should be safe to try.....as long as that is the only thing we create so far

now your codec info gives

ALC269
======
basic Basic preset
quanta Quanta FL1
laptop-amic Laptops with analog-mic input
laptop-dmic Laptops with digital-mic input
fujitsu FSC Amilo
lifebook Fujitsu Lifebook S6420
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

---- the forum truncates space so the strings to try if you can't see a match are

basic, quanta, laptop-amic, fujitsu, lifebook and auto.....ok?

if you see a match then use that in place of string

and do a full reboot for each test of string

and run the modinfo command with root powers

don't post the results unless you can see the beep in output ok?

then post what string you used and the full output of the modinfo command

only if you get beep output.....can we move onto the next stage

BUT ITS POSSIBLE sorry for the shout....that you don't get any beep output.

in which case my attempt is a fail and you can then re-compile kernel if you need beep.

good luck
Page: 1, 2  Next