Page: Previous  1, 2

doktornotor
Reply Quote
OMFG, please do NOT enable this absolutely obnoxious abortion from hell sound. Dear OP, kindly recompile the kernel yourself as required, the remaining sane part of the population would prefer to not be tortured like this.

P.S. Registered specifically for the purpose of sharing my opinion on pcspkr beeps.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
Hmmm... I never loved such strict "I'll choose what's better for you" policies, they sound too much like "you're an idiot" to me.

Mau, you're quite confused here, let me clarify this for you: if liquorix ADDED this undesired feature, that would be an example of someone choosing what's better for you even though most people hate it.

Someone removing something that almost everyone hates and wants removed is an example of a maintainer having good judgement and not allowing such decisions to negatively impact the majority of the users.

So in fact damentz is doing, and has always done, what in his best judgment delivers the most optimized pleasant user experience, which is why people use and like his kernels. that's why i use them.

What debian does, for example, is cater to a subset of users, server and sys admins, and deliver features they tend to want. That's why if that's what you want, then that's what you should use, it's convenient, both are fine options that deliver the features you want.

But if you find that you like the enhanced desktop experience that liquorix can provide, then it's quite inconsistent to then ask for some server specific feature that most regular desktop users not only don't want, but actively dislike, at least any that use their system for audio purposes.

Personally, I can think of nothing worse than wasting some hours trying to figure out where some mystery sound comes from, I'm quite happy that someone wisely terminated it before it could appear.

This is a fine case of a variety of choices for defaults being a good thing. Debian, for example, recently decided to make all there stock 686 kernels pae, without offering a real option to people who might not want that, at least they didn't last I checked. So that reflects something they wanted but others might not want, reasons are murky but that's ok.
aus9
Reply Quote
well I think I better reply here, as I may have wasted the OP time.

In the long run, if he wants the feature, he may like to re-compile a vanilla kernel.

so slight hijack......as we know that damentz is not going to provide a re-compile and I assume OP has failed with my suggestions ....because they needed that kernel module......then

Mau

Do you need help to re-compile a kernel?

We are all human beings here, we all make mistakes but unlike some other forums...whose names escape me.....we could still help you if we can't help with plan A and move onto plan B

good luck
mau
Reply Quote
:: aus9 wrote ::

-------
options snd-hda-intel model=string
------

[...]

ALC269
======
basic Basic preset
quanta Quanta FL1
laptop-amic Laptops with analog-mic input
laptop-dmic Laptops with digital-mic input
fujitsu FSC Amilo
lifebook Fujitsu Lifebook S6420
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Thanks aus9, but this doesn't seem to help: no "beep" mixer control appears with any model.

:: techAdmin wrote ::

Mau, you're quite confused here, let me clarify this for you: if liquorix ADDED this undesired feature, that would be an example of someone choosing what's better for you even though most people hate it.

[...]

But if you find that you like the enhanced desktop experience that liquorix can provide, then it's quite inconsistent to then ask for some server specific feature that most regular desktop users not only don't want, but actively dislike, at least any that use their system for audio purposes.

First of all, I'd really prefer stopping polemic about such a negligible matter here.

I don't need server features on my laptop, at least not yet... I suppose the real obstacle here is pulse, with its "single channel" mixer: users are prevented to individually adjust the underlying volumes and switches: I happily got rid of it but, I admit, it wasn't exactly a piece of cake.

:: aus9 wrote ::

In the long run, if he wants the feature, he may like to re-compile a vanilla kernel.

I definitely won't recompile my kernel in order to hear my beloved beep. Maybe I'll recompile the single snd-hda-intel module, if I'll find a way to do it easily.

Thanks

Mau
aus9
Reply Quote
hmm pulse eh?

well I don't like it but try

alsamixer -c 0

to get past the pulse overtakes all setting.

umm you may need to look at pulse wikis but pulse has its good points, mainly change sound devices on the fly without a reboot and or
change sound streaming to allow different streams but
I have only a 2 ch desktop speaker system so pulse is useless to me

good luck
Page: Previous  1, 2