Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

Things that don't install with smxi
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I just did two installs of Debian Testing with smxi.
These are the packages that don't install:
Skype: Package architecture (i386) does not match system architecture (amd64).
apache2-configuration: techadmin warns that package is not tested.
Java plugins
rbxi
Just notifying the package maintainer.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
rbxi should have installed, wonder what changed there, that's just a zip file that gets extracted to /usr/local/bin, check to make sure it's not in there.

Java has been pulled, that's sun java, it's not in the repos anymore, at least not for testing/sid. If it was in stable, it's still there though.

skype I pay zero attention to, but I thought the one package used to work, maybe they have one for 32 and one for 64 now? could be.

I still avoid 64 bit for this reason, by the way, I need, as a developer, all the stuff to work, not just some of it.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Thanks for answer.
I have zip file rb in /usr/local/bin, it did not get extracted.
Regarding Java, I was just letting you know, it can be installed manually, it just doesn't work in smxi.
Not sure exactly what needs to be installed manually for Java applets to work in iceweasel.
Skype can also be installed manually.
apache2-configuration does not install, I think it is some kind of GUI, will look into that.
I want to collaborate with your project.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
hmm, sounds odd, I haven't checked those in a long time, wonder what changed. I do know that java from sun is removed in ubuntu, not sure if it's gone from debian yet. I haven't checked the skype at all.

Sometimes companies add a repo, or the distro packages their stuff, when it used to not be in the pool, hard to know.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
did a quick test, that is working as intended, but the javaplugin probably has a new name I'd guess, I'll have to look into that.

:: Code ::
Checking for Java Plugin installation candidates...
No Java plugin available in your 32 bit sid install.
Sometimes the package names change, let the smxi maintainer know.

I started the skype install, and note that in fact, yes, they are doing 32/64 bit packages now:

:: Code ::
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb
Resolving www.skype.com (www.skype.com)... 204.9.163.248
Connecting to www.skype.com (www.skype.com)|204.9.163.248|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb-32 [following]
--2011-12-29 17:45:54--  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb-32

so that needs to be updated I can see to offer the correct bits for the os.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
skype requires explicitly on the file name now, -32 or -64 at the end, well, actually the default is 32, so if it had no -32 on the end, it would get that, regardless if you have 32 or 64 bit, that's why it failed for you on 64 bit. If you test this now it should work for you, give it a try, it will just remove your old skype and then reinstall the deb after getting the current one.

That's explicit now in package install, so it should work.

rbxi needed bzip2 to extract it, I assume your base install did not have that, that was a long time oversight on smxi's part, not to check, now it checks and installs both rsync and bzip2 prior to download. If you run it again it should extract it as expected.

java plugin has changed, and the old failsafe replacement is gone, so I've added icedtea6-plugin as the new failsafe. I tested this again, and the install went fine, replaced the old sun-java6 stuff with the icedtea stuff.

Just fyi, here's the debian Debian Java FAQ.- Java Plugins for Browsers
secipolla
Reply Quote
I used the package from www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en and it apparently worked fine (creating the desktop files for the java apps in the menu etc. - although all one needs to do for that manually is to symlink the desktop files from the java folder to /usr/share/applications).
I got it from this page that talks about the manual installation (didn't read the Debian wiki though, that may be more complete):
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Another $.02, just to make Techadmin work on a holiday :-)
I installed kde base and kde + xorg (different installs), both gave me error: Nepomuk service not running.
The fix is easy, just install virtuoso-minimal (credits go to slh).
It would be nice to have this package as part of kde base in smxi, just to get an error-free startup.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Just reporting on this new install.
Java plugins installed fine from smxi.
However skype is still a complete mess.
It asks for tons of 32 bit libraries, threatens to remove packages, etc.
I did not accept any of these solutions and just purged skype.
Will comment further on this later.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
oh, so they didn't do a real 64 bit skype, I was wondering about that. One can always hope.

Basically you have to install all the 32 bit libs it asked for, but I'm not going to test it. This is, again, why I don't run 64 bit. The user base is simply too small, so stuff gets dropped, support is incomplete, etc. One thinks on flash for example, dropped in 64 bit by adobe for a while, recently added in again.

However, good info.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next