Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, it means you MUST read up the supplied readme before running rbxi.

Then you MUST set the required values to the required fields.

Then ideally you will create a set of jobs and then just call the jobs after that.

rbxi is not a user friendly backup system, it's one I wrote for mainly sys admins, that is, me, to run automated backup jobs, but it works great to run manually, once you have the jobs set up.

I have usually 1 or 2 per machine, jobs, that is, and i have mine set to write to one central network drive, which it also mounts and umounts automatically.

rbxi lets you do a ton of things, but being user friendly on the initial setup is the cost to that extreme flexibility. But don't fret, rsync alone is even worse, and even less comprehensible in terms of its syntax, so rbxi hides or documents the worst parts of that. rsync is a brilliant program that normal humans should NEVER interact with directly in my opinion, it should always be a back end, like what apple has done with their time machine stuff, which to me looks like its' based on rsync, with a very user friendly gui added ontop.

However, for most users and most systems, the defaults tend to work ok unless you have some monstrous data directories that need special handling.

Ideally rbxi allows you to set up your jobs, then not think about them again, just run, say, rbxi -J2
to run job 2.

I briefly thought of doing a version with a setup routine, but that's a huge amount of work, and requires that the user know their systems anyway, and wouldn't be useful for mounting remote network drives.

I've tried to document this as well as I can, and have extremely verbose and example rich comments, to avoid too much hand holding, and I believe that has been largely successful since I almost never get any support requests for rbxi.

rbxi, by the way, was also explicitly designed and scripted to not require updates, ie, the idea was to do it right. That's been fairly successful too, barring unexpected changes in core tools like rsync, which as you can see from some of the issues you've discovered in smxi etc, cannot be relied on. The user settings will also never be broken, ie, I will never create an update that breaks any existing settings. It's really not so hard to do that by the way, all you have to do is handle any breaks internally, at worst, and best, simply not change the values ever. I wish other apps would learn how to do that, sadly it takes a certain commitment to the end users over time that is simply not present far too often, and a corresponding lack of sloppiness and laziness.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
@techadmin
Got info about rbxi, thanks.
Looks like it is what I need for backups.
Regarding mounting external drives, will do that manually and see what gives.
You really take your time to give exact answers.
If I have more questions on rbxi will post in a related thread, I don't want this one to become humungous.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3