Page: Previous  1, 2

Hoping the new recompile will cover LM10 Ubuntu 10.10
sandra
Reply Quote
I am using LM10 which is based on Ubuntu 10.10. Can I continue to use Liquorix or not ? is there a work around I sure would find it disappointing to have to persue another kernel update option I really perfer Liquorix and would love to continue using it.. Any help would be appreciated.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It's been fixed for a while now, a day or so.

damentz built new kernels with gcc 4.5 to let them fit better into debian sid, testing, and ubuntu natty.

so yes, you can use it, but there's absolutely no law on this planet that says you MUST upgrade every new kernel that comes along, if you have a new one, and it now works, then you're fine. I doubt he'll use the 4.6 for a while, but even if he does, just stay with the last kernel that works and there's no problem.

Kernels don't have to be upgraded constantly, it's fine to leave them for a while between updates, or to just update the ones within a major series, like the 2.6.39 series. Then wait a bit when the new 3.0 series comes out and see how that goes, if it works for others, install it, if not, just wait.
Don't know what happend
sandra
Reply Quote
I tried updating the kernel on my LM11 laptop I added in the repository as usual and instead of updating to kernel 2.6.39.1 it regressed to 2.6.38.7.dmz.2 How can I correct this ? thanks for the help
damentz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
I tried updating the kernel on my LM11 laptop I added in the repository as usual and instead of updating to kernel 2.6.39.1 it regressed to 2.6.38.7.dmz.2 How can I correct this ? thanks for the help

I don't know what to say, this just doesn't happen. Unless you're subscribed to the past branch of the liquorix repository, this should be impossible.
blm14
Reply Quote
I am running ubuntu 10.04 at work and the newest GCC available is 4.4. I now can't go to the newest liquorix kernel. Is 10.04 going to be aged out from support for liquorix? Thanks!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Liquorix kernels are built now with gcc 4.5 support. damentz was nice enough to roll that back from the current sid gcc 4.6 he'd compiled the last ones with to support debian testing users as well as sid. That's already a bit of a sacrifice to make since you want the latest gcc to take advantage of the latest performance optimizations in new gcc.

You have to learn to understand that if you run a stable frozen pool desktop, you have to accept that fact, and not try to work around it, unless of course you willing to do the work.

Damentz and liquorix has zero responsibility to support frozen stable release distros of any type, it's extra work, and it doesn't help damentz at all, he does not use these.

Liquorix is a cutting edge kernel of the most recent kernel tree in the stable kernel branch.

Please see my post in this thread: techpatterns.com/forums/about1874.html

so I don't have to repeat the points.

You guys want something for yourselves, and this something is not something damentz wants or needs for his purposes. So you guys can feel free to create this sub project and then promise to not lose interest out of frustration or boredom in a few weeks/months.

If there is no willingness to do this on the part of the people who want stable kernels supporting out of date gcc compilers, then why on earth should damentz use his time for such a thing? Think about it.

Use the stuff ubuntu gave you for their stable release, or help create a stable release for liquorix that supports both debian stable and ubuntu ltr releases. Or don't, it's not important to me or anyone else who runs rolling release distros.

I don't run liquorix on my stabledebian systems, why should I, I want a stable system that is always the same when I boot into it.
klaxian
Reply Quote
Agreed. You can always build your own kernel using whatever compiler you want as well.
Page: Previous  1, 2