Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Spaceferret
Reply Quote
Thank you ,Damentz, I followed your advice and finally resolved the problem, is was not too hard using dmesg, I wish someone would direct my attention, I was asked to post the boot log which wasn't very helpful. I noticed that nouveau driver prevented nvidia and after blacklisting nouveau everything works OK. Actually one of the forum members pointed it out as a possibility but I ignored that because logically I couldn't see why it it didn't cause problems before.
Nevertheless I will still keep Liquorix in my sources.list
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
[    34.795] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
[    34.795] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
[    34.795] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[    34.795] (II) Unloading nvidia
[    34.795] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)

by the way, new inxi, 1.5.1 or later, inxi -Gx would expose this fact and show that the nvidia driver was NOT running, since t excludes the driver if it shows it unloaded in xorg.0.log

The idea being to quickly and easily see what driver is actually running your xorg, no matter what the one believes to be the case. Seems to work, not sure why that was never added to inxi as a feature, it was easy to do relatively.

It's tempting to add a bit more logic to that to show also if it's merely unloaded, say on exiting x, or if it's a failed to load situation due to error, at which point either no module loaded or some other one was tried by xorg.

<update>Added to 1.5.3, shows if gfx driver module loaded or failed, like: nvidia->failed
this works out of x too, so you can use this to diagnose failure cases of xorg not starting by seeing what driver failed to start specifically.
Spaceferret
Reply Quote
As far as I know inxi is a system information script, it that right ? I guess it would be considerably more helpful to catch the event ( or the lack of thereof ,like in my case with nvidia) right during the boot process.I checked the repository but inxi package is not there. Of course it shouldn't be too much of a problem to install the source package
techAdmin
Reply Quote
inxi is one of the scripts I work on.

Look in the smxi forums.

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi

then run whatever commands.

It has some recommends with it, X11-utils for example, that are listed at the top of the script, but it tests for the main dependencies itself.

Sample, which I just did, installed a known failing type nvidia on a system:
:: Code ::
Graphics: Card-1: nVidia C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] bus-ID: 00:05.0 Card-2: ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.org 1.7.7 driver nvidia->failed tty res: N/A Gfx Data: N/A out of X

# then updated to correct nvidia driver:
Graphics: Card-1: nVidia C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] bus-ID: 00:05.0 Card-2: ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.org 1.7.7 driver nvidia->loaded tty res: N/A Gfx Data: N/A out of X

Graphics: Card: nVidia G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.Org 1.7.7 driver nvidia->loaded Res: 2560x1024@50.0hz
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 270.29 Direct Rendering Yes

Spaceferret
Reply Quote
That it so cool ! If the script you are working on is readily available why aptosid didn't include it? Or is it something I don't know ?I'm pretty sure !
techAdmin
Reply Quote
hahaha

inxi is yet another part of the sidux saga. It was forked from infobash because I submitted a patch to fix a little distro id issue, and slh refused to implement it because his ego was starting to suffer a bit. He made up some stupid reason why he didn't use the patch, and then I gave up on him, and forked it to inxi, so we could actually get something usable working.

inxi.googlecode.com or a shortcut we have: inxi.org that goes to googlecode.

The patch was a few lines long.

That then created a script of much greater informational utility, coded to be actually maintainable, unlike infobash, which contains the very worst programming code I have ever had the misfortune to work on.

so the aptosid guys refuse to use inxi because I'm involved in it, even though it's vastly more useful and accurate than infobash, which nobody in that project can work on because the code is so convoluted except for tiny patches.

When I saw how they were responding to inxi, which is clearly technically superior in every way, and more usable and more informative, I knew that project was becoming totally ego driven, and that was a key reason I finally left it. So don't mention inxi there either, it's on the non approved list of things there.

This is why I gave up on those guys, that and many many more reasons. The original infobash author, locsmif, also quit the project in disgust, especially after slh tried to relicense infobash, after locsmif left, from the existing gpl 3 or later to gpl 2 only, in total and clear violation of the gpl. But that's typical for slh. He backed off, but not before locsmif too got totally disgusted and left, which is funny because he's the only guy out there who can actually work on that code in depth.

inxi comes installed on antix, mint, and lmde. There's a poorly written aur package for it in arch, that doesn't properly deal with dependencies or recommends. Hopefully soon on mepis but for some reason they haven't done it yet. Cathbard packages inxi and has a repo, but you're usually better off just running the installer from smxi, which will install all the recommends, or downloading it and installing it directly, then updating it yourself.

smxi also updates /usr/local/bin inxi versions if they are out of date when you run smxi.
Spaceferret
Reply Quote
I will certainly give it a try, it seems like a very useful script, too bad you had to leave the project that would clearly benefit from your contribution . That is so ironic,in the corporate world you would of get a bonus and possibly promotion for your work but in the world of non-profit open source OS they gave you a no-go just as a result of one person's ego trip.Now I recall reading on the aptosid forum member's asking questions regarding smxi and why it's not in repository any longer, but they got muffled .
techAdmin
Reply Quote
there's nothing to regret leaving the project, my only regrets involve having joined it in the first place. I certainly would not wish membership in that group on anyone I liked, and I'd hesitate to wish it on people I didn't.
damentz
Reply Quote
Think of it this way, in a corporation, the company has already (or should have) studied the psychological effect of certain rewards on their employees and rewarded h2 appropriately in a way that further develops his skill and productivity at their company.

In an open source project, a lot of these things can disappear if it's run by children consumed by their own feelings and ego. One thing that you need to run a company or lead a team without making any bad decision is a clear head and a very strong understanding of how people work so you can make the best out of everyone's skills.

If you can't foster a relationship and let others take credit for their own work, you're not fit for leadership.

People forget that no matter how advanced our society gets, how much information we gather, or what new concepts we learn, the ability to speak to people like they're real humans is always a new challenge for each of us. Some people fail the challenge or try to cheat the system and become the worst scum.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4