Page: 1, 2  Next

BFS 373
klaxian
Reply Quote
It seems like Con has made some good improvements to BFS in his newly released version 373 over the currently bundled 363. Is the plan to include his newest version in the next Liquorix release? Cheers.
damentz
Reply Quote
Well, I'm running CFS in Liquorix. When I have a chance, I'll give BFS another go. The two things that were broken for me the last time I tried BFS was suspend support and the graphics driver. This time around I hear suspend works, so maybe that fixed other bugs too?

I'm stoked as much as you are, but I wish I had more time to experiment like I used to.
ormaaj
Reply Quote
He mentioned on his blog that 373 fixes a few crashes over 372. Seems to perform quite well from what I've tested so far with pf-sources. Still waiting for Zen's git to wake up.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I understand. However, even if you don't use BFS as the default scheduler in your packaged kernel, can you please include BFS 373 in the liquorix source patchset? Cheers.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I applied Con's patch to upgrade to BFS 373 and it is working well so far. I will continue testing and I will post if there are any problems. Seems speedy so far.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I have also tested BFS 376/400 and it works great. Throughput and interactivity is up, power usage is reduced, and the ondemand governor functions really well.
kukaraja
Reply Quote
I also tested the BFS 0.400 and it works wonderfull. Suspend and hibernation works on my Dell XPS 1530 laptop... The binaries are from con kolivas blog: ck.kolivas.org/patches/Ubuntu%20Packages/

Damentz, can you put the BFS scheduler in your next release, please?
klaxian
Reply Quote
BFS 376 is already in recent liquorix kernel sources.
kukaraja
Reply Quote
Ok, can you give me a link how to compile liquorix kernel under ubuntu? I would like to compile it with BFS as a default scheduler... There is no single binary kernel for ubuntu where the BFS and BFQ are default options.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I think BFQ is already the default in the prepackaged Liquorix kernels. BFS is included in the patchset, but you must compile yourself to activate and configure it.

Here is a brief step-by-step for compiling on Debian/Ubuntu systems:

• Download the Linux kernel source from kernel.org. Make sure to get the initial revision of any main version (ie. 2.6.38 instead of 2.6.38.3) www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.38.tar.bz2
  • Download the patchset from Liquorix liquorix.net/sources/
  • Uncompress the kernel source. From within the newly created directory, apply the Liquorix patchset.
    :: Code ::
    zcat 38.3-1.patch.gz | patch -p1

• If you don't have a starting configuration file, download the Liquorix one and save to ".config" in the kernel directory liquorix.net/sources/38/
  • Configure the kernel. I prefer xconfig since I use KDE and it has the nicest UI, but other options are available as well (see "make help"). When compiling, use as many jobs as CPUs/threads that you have (add 1 more if not using BFS)
    make -j6 xconfig

• Compile the kernel and build a Debian package for easy maintenance and integration. Read the man page on "make-kpkg".
    schedtool -B -n19 -e fakeroot make-kpkg -j6 --initrd --append-to-version=".3-liquorix1" kernel_headers kernel_image

• Install the newly created Debian packages (as root or with sudo).
    sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb

Keep in mind that the commands suggested all have prerequisites that must be installed first. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck.
Page: 1, 2  Next