Page: Previous  1, 2

kukaraja
Reply Quote
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will give it a try this weekend!
kukaraja
Reply Quote
Klaxian, thanks to your detailed instructions I compiled a kernel for a first time :-) BFS scheduler works very good, and everything works as expected.

Thanks again!
klaxian
Reply Quote
You're welcome bud. Cheers.
damentz
Reply Quote
Just letting you guys know, since BFS v401, I'm using BFS as the runtime scheduler for Liquorix (2.6.38-4.dmz.1 and up). Con fixed a bug related to latency induced from low hz resolution. I think this bug was also present in tickless kernels, like mine, since after this version, every boot has initialized the nvidia driver properly where as before, it did not.

Hopefully this is what you wanted in the first place and you won't need to make any more changes.
kukaraja
Reply Quote
Damentz, your new kernel with BFS 0.401 patch is working great, thank you.

One more question for you... What are the speed gains if you set the compiler for specific CPU architecture, for example core2 vs generic x64 code? Is it much faster or not?
klaxian
Reply Quote
That's great news. I think other desktop users will benefit from the latest BFS 401. Unfortunately, I am having other problems with nvidia that I attribute to their latest drivers. I don't think they are related to BFS.

I will probably still compile my own kernel though as I prefer a greater level of flexibility. In addition, I compile for my specific architecture and hardware. kukaraja, there is certainly some speed improvement by compiling with processor-specific optimizations such as "Core 2" and "march=native", but it is probably not practical to maintain several different kernel packages just for this difference.
Poincare_
Reply Quote
Looks cool. BFS v401. Just wondering how to enable this in kernel 2.6.38-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64? Is there a boot time option I need to specify?
klaxian
Reply Quote
Liquorix is shipping with BFS 401 as the default right now. You can just install their debian packages if you want. There is no additional option to specify.
Page: Previous  1, 2