Page: 1, 2  Next

Missin nvidia-kernel-2.6.38-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686
dodjie60
Reply Quote
Hello,

Installed 2.6.38-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686 and Nvidia failed.

Can anybody give me some help with this one. Nvidia problem without this kernel.

nvidia-kernel-2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 is installed in conjunction to:

"dodjiel@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 15 01:22:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux"

without problem.

I'm totally new to linux.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Use sgfxi to install the driver.

:: Code ::
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && sgfxi

this should get nvidia running, unless you did some odd things that aren't handled in your attempt to get it running.

If you are totally new to linux you are going to have a learning curve, so you'll need to learn.

You do EXACTLY verbatim that command, as root, in a terminal window. It will tell you you need to leave X, do so, login as: root in the console shell, password, then type in: sgfxi
and hit enter.

Also, when you post and are new make sure to post relevant details, like what distribution you are using, precisely, and what video card you have, and so on.

Some Mepis and some LMDE users are reporting issues on some nvidia cards but who knows why or what is going on there.
dodjie60
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
Use sgfxi to install the driver.

:: Code ::
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && sgfxi

this should get nvidia running, unless you did some odd things that aren't handled in your attempt to get it running.

If you are totally new to linux you are going to have a learning curve, so you'll need to learn.

You do EXACTLY verbatim that command, as root, in a terminal window. It will tell you you need to leave X, do so, login as: root in the console shell, password, then type in: sgfxi
and hit enter.

Also, when you post and are new make sure to post relevant details, like what distribution you are using, precisely, and what video card you have, and so on.

Some Mepis and some LMDE users are reporting issues on some nvidia cards but who knows why or what is going on there.

Sorry, total newbe here.

Running on:
Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid kernel: 2.6.37-4 dmz1-liquorix-686

~$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 15 01:22:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

~$ lspci | grep nVidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [GeForce G 105M] (rev a1)

PROBLEM:
Installed 2.6.38-1 dmz1-liquorix-686 but nvidia failed. Tried to find what caused the problem. I was assuming that the following is the problem.

nvidia-kernel-2.6.37-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 but kernel installed is 2.6.38-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686.

Hope this will further clear some instruction.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Reinstall the driver, don't use the dkms method if you are going to also run cutting edge kernels. Actually don't use it at all if you are going to run a rolling release like wheezy/sid

sgfxi will install the driver for you, or should.

How did you install the driver?

This isn't, by the way, a liquorix issue, it's an nvidia driver install question.

I suggest you stop changing stuff at random until you learn a bit how to run Debian GNU/Linux.
dodjie60
Reply Quote
Reinstall the driver, don't use the dkms method if you are going to also run cutting edge kernels. Actually don't use it at all if you are going to run a rolling release like wheezy/sid

sgfxi will install the driver for you, or should.

How did you install the driver?

This isn't, by the way, a liquorix issue, it's an nvidia driver install question.

I suggest you stop changing stuff at random until you learn a bit how to run Debian GNU/Linux.

FYI, i'm not using the proprietary driver. Drivers and kernels are automatically upgraded by "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade". As such my /etc/apt/sources.list is as follows:

deb 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb 'http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb 'http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing main non-free
deb 'http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze non-free
deb 'http://liquorix.net/debian sid main future

Isn't it that liquorix should be including nvidia-kernel for every liquorix kernel upgrade? What I mean is if 2.6.38-1 is released, nvidia-kernel-2.6.38-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686 should also be released?

Sorry for my ignorance on this.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia is a non free driver.

So if you see that you are using it.

You couldn't have gotten that running in debian without installing it somehow yourself, so you either did that or you did not do that, but I can't tell you what you did or did not do, you have to handle that part for us.

If you see nvidia-kernel one assumes you installed dkms driver via some instructions somewhere, however, I'm not going to be the one to help you up the steps of this particular learning curve, you'll have to do that yourself.

The initial answer I gave you was complete, sgfxi is designed specifically so that one doesn't have to explain every single step of installing nvidia drivers to people endlessly.

now, if you are using nouveau, the free nvidia driver, then you arne't using nvidia kernel anything, you're using nouveau.

You can't be using both nvidia and nouveau, so you'll have to figure out which one you are actually running. sgfxi does that all for you, by the way.
dodjie60
Reply Quote
nvidia is a non free driver.

So if you see that you are using it.

You couldn't have gotten that running in debian without installing it somehow yourself, so you either did that or you did not do that, but I can't tell you what you did or did not do, you have to handle that part for us.

If you see nvidia-kernel one assumes you installed dkms driver via some instructions somewhere, however, I'm not going to be the one to help you up the steps of this particular learning curve, you'll have to do that yourself.

The initial answer I gave you was complete, sgfxi is designed specifically so that one doesn't have to explain every single step of installing nvidia drivers to people endlessly.

now, if you are using nouveau, the free nvidia driver, then you arne't using nvidia kernel anything, you're using nouveau.

You can't be using both nvidia and nouveau, so you'll have to figure out which one you are actually running. sgfxi does that all for you, by the way.

Okay, well said. Been with linux since 2005 but compiling kernel is not my game. Will use smxi instead of sgfxi since smxi is already installed. I'm not using nouveau, it creates too many headache here.

Will come back if needs further assistance.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi uses sgfxi, I just tell people to use sgfxi because it's fewer steps to the driver.

However, make an effort to be consistent:
:: Quote ::

Been with linux since 2005

these two statements do not match. You can't both be new to linux and have used linux since 2005.

Nobody is talking about compiling anything, the software does that for you, all you do is run it.
dodjie60
Reply Quote
smxi uses sgfxi, I just tell people to use sgfxi because it's fewer steps to the driver.

However, make an effort to be consistent:

Been with linux since 2005

these two statements do not match. You can't both be new to linux and have used linux since 2005.

Nobody is talking about compiling anything, the software does that for you, all you do is run it.

Re I'm totally new to linux, been stucked with windows XP -> Vista -> Windows 7 for a while. I've started using linux since 2005 with OpenSuSE 9 but majority of my manpower hours is with windows. My desktop dual boots with Windows and Linux very seldom using linux.

Sorry for this confusion.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
well anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

So this isn't a kernel issue, I suggest you take a look at the smxi forums, up from this one 2 steps, and see if you can find a resolution, after making sure the smxi/sgfxi nvidia driver install is failing.

Once verified, ie, once there is an issue to report, then report that issue, in those forums.

If there isn't, then I assume the driver is just needing reinstall, as it does after every xorg or kernel update.

Now, within this, there are also rare cases where there is an actual nvidia driver bug, those of course need to be reported to nvidia, not here, but that's not common, it's usually user error, distro config default error, or just needing to reinstall it.

When posting bug reports, post ALL relevant information, card, kernel, what driver currently using, what driver was working, if any, and so on.

And logs from Xorg and sgfxi, found: /var/log/Xorg.0.log AFTER a failed x start.

and /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log AFTER a completed sgfxi or smxi install of the driver and a failed x restart.
Page: 1, 2  Next