Page: Previous  1, 2

aus9
Reply Quote
hi

I am aware you are KDE user and I am a LXDE user but have you tried the login manager callled slim?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM
slim.berlios.de/

It won't provide super graphical features but it might avoid issues when KDE upgrades again?

regards
reiner
Reply Quote
Hmm,
no not yet, i am running mostly xfce as desktop and quite a lot of kde-programs and do use kdm as login-Manager.

I might give slim a try the next days to see how it acts. The problem seems to be caused by the time the X-server is allowed to come up.

Especially with the nvidia binary drivers (as on my machine) this could last longer than the time calculated for the kdm-defaults.
Therefore this parameter seems to have now overcome this problem.
Other login-managers might not have that problem at all or experience similar problems if the have tight time-frames for starting X.

regards

Reiner
damentz
Reply Quote
Do you use any readahead / preload packages? I was having a problem too by installing preload. Because preload was loading files while KDM was loading, some how initialization of KDM broke. To fix that I just disabled preload (and removed it eventually).
reiner
Reply Quote
@damentz: No I have not (yet) installed preload since last install but might in near future. I will notify you f it behaves strange then.

regards

Reiner
Page: Previous  1, 2