Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

2.6.36-2 (latest Liquorix) + Virtualbox = Fail (solved)
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Well, have anyone tried to recompile the vboxdrv after kernel upgrade?

Mine fails :(

Unfortunately I didn't copy/paste the error since I was in my pure console with no X started, but I remember it said something like that it couldn't be compiled against my arch/Kbuild in 2.6.36.

Sorry for the incomplete info! Please try to do:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

on a new kernel and you will see what I mean.

Is it a fault of Virtualbox and should they simply update their code or a fault of this kernel?

Thank you!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
If you need a virtual machine to be working, do NOT update to latest major version, like 2.6.36, until you have verified that the vm works on that kernel.

With that said, with new kernels, make sure you have the latest vbox installed, I use only vbox non ose, directly downloaded from vbox, and use svmi to install it. Why? Because who knows how long it will take distro maintainers to update the ose version.

This is the case for both vmware and vbox, and it's always been the case. Why? because the kernel devs break the kernel apis constantly, without caring about who or what breaks because of it.
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
I've been using vbox since the beginning of its life actually. Not the ose version.
Why? Because I'm aware of all this.

:: Quote ::
If you need a virtual machine to be working, do NOT update to latest major version, like 2.6.36, until you have verified that the vm works on that kernel.

So I was just exactly verifying it and vboxdrv didn't compile.

Ok, thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
damentz said on irc that vbox 3.2.10 works on 2.6.36, his kernels, that's the new vbox version that is.

but good to know, albeit predictable, that older versions don't work on new kernels.
Liquorix2.6.36-0.dmz.2 and Virtual Box
reiner
Reply Quote
Hello,
I have tried today also to compile/install the latest virtualbox-non-ose via smxi and it also failed during compilation.
The errors in the log are as follows:
    Makefile:170: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version init/Kconfig:1294: can't open file "arch/Kconfig" 2.6.36) does not match the current kernel (version 2.6.36-0.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64). Stop.

No big problem yet i still have the 2.6.35 version of the kernel at hand.

regards

Reiner
Solved:Liquorix2.6.36-0.dmz.2 and Virtual Box
reiner
Reply Quote
Hmm,
looked a little deeper/further into that and found that towo at aptosid.de already had found a temporary fix for aptosid-kernels al. Please see (in german):
    http://www.aptosid.de/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=238&highlight=Virtual

While his statement on Line 423 of the Kernel-makefile is still true, and "kernelrelease" has to be added, the line 1399 of the liquorix-kernel-headers is different and the changes he suggested need to go to line 1413 instead.
So I changed those lines to:
Line 423:
:: Code ::
kernelversion kernelrelease %src-pkg

line 1413
@echo "$(KERNELRELEASE)$$($(CONFIG_SHELL) $(srctree)/scripts/setlocalversion $(srctree))"

After that the installation/compilation went through, I have seeen quite a lot of warnings in the installer-log but the modules have been
build and loaded. I have not tested them yet but will do after an reboot and confirm here if they are working.

regards

reiner
Rebootet and tested, Virtualbox is working fine now again.
TheExplorer
Reply Quote
Thanks you tried that also, reiner. I was absent for some time and couldn't answer.

That's exactly the error I get.

The thing is I DO NOT get any error after compiling vanilla 2.6.36 kernel. I even used another set of patches (the maintainer also uses BFS, BFQ, Zen-patches and also TuxOnIce) from here: pf-kernel.org.ua/
After compiling I still get NO errors with VBox.

Seems that some of the patches that damentz uses simply breaks the kernel :)
reiner
Reply Quote
well,
its not only damentz kernels, the ones originally from aptosid have the same problem and as far as I know their kernel-maintainer doesn't want to fix it as he doesn't care too much for "non-free" software.
I think towo had similar problems with an kernel he made and he found his way around and posted it there.
Maybe damentz can have an eye on that issue when he brings out the next kernels.

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I confirm this bug for 32 bit liquorix 2.6.36-0

cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile:170: *** Error: /usr/src/linux (version init/Kconfig:1303: can't
open file "arch/Kconfig" 2.6.36) does not match the current kernel
(version 2.6.36-0.dmz.3-liquorix-686).  Stop.

techAdmin
Reply Quote
just to confirm that this bug is in the makefile, and it works for damentz because he is using dkms, which must bypass the makefile thus avoiding the bug.

However, the fixes above result in new errors, looks like syntax mistake to me:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.36-0.dmz.3-liquorix-686/build
SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
Makefile:1413: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2

I don't know how to fix a 'missing separator' error in a makefile however.

Once I started the two patched lines with a tab, then it made the module.

<update>
as this page shows: www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq22_17.html

this latter error was caused by not starting those two patched lines with a tab character, not a space. Just incredible. How free software can be so absurdly geeky is sometimes just beyond belief.

However, now the modules build, with those patches, or if you use dkms.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next