Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dell Inspiron N5030 Trackpad problems
blm14
Reply Quote
So I am running LMDE which I really like. Except for one problem. My trackpad is being recognized as a PS2 mouse. This wouldnt bother me except that I want to be able to disable tap-clicking, which strangely WORKS despite debian recognizing my touchpad as a PS2 mouse and not a trackpad.

I was looking into the kernel changelog and saw some driver updates to trackpad things in kernels upstream from 2.6.32 (which is what debian testing is using ATM) so I tried liquorix.

Added the sources, update-gub, reboot, no problem that I can see. Except this

Which is the same as before.

Also I still get this:

:: Code ::

$ synclient -l
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

So my question is, how the heck can I disable tap-click on this laptop? It's driving me nuts, I keep clicking as I type and moving the cursor. HELP!
damentz
Reply Quote
I found a patch on Ubuntu's 2.6.37 kernel that adds support for your laptop's touchpad. I added it to liquorix so you should have better support on the next version.
blm14
Reply Quote
Wow, that's fantastic news! Thank you so much!

So when 2.26.38 comes out from liquorix that patch should be in there?
damentz
Reply Quote
It should be in the newest version, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6.
trulan
Reply Quote
Amazing how a problem can go un-noticed, then when you realize it, it drives you crazy. Anyway, this problem also affects me. (Dell Latitude E5500) Upgrading to 2.6.37-0.dmz.7 made no difference.

After doing a bit of reading I'm realizing that this issue has been around for a while, so if the fix were easy it would have been done long ago. Thanks for trying, anyway.

Oh well, at least in the process of fighting with this I figured out how to disable the touchpad when I plug in an external mouse...
damentz
Reply Quote
Hmm, I suggest that you guys try upgrading Xserver in Debian. Enable the experimental branch and upgrade all the xorg-xserver, x11-*, and mesa-utils / libgl1-mesa-dri types of packages.
trulan
Reply Quote
Think I'll wait a bit to do that, I can live with the way it is for a bit longer. I really need my laptop to be stable at the moment and upgrading X from experimental sounds a little extreme all things considered. Thanks for the tip though.
blm14
Reply Quote
So I ended up switching to ubuntu because I was having TERRIBLE dependency problems with LMDE and I wanted to see if ubuntu fixed anything. It didn't :(

so here I am now:

:: Code ::

ben@maybeinnovations:~$ uname -a
Linux maybeinnovations 2.6.37-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 1 19:42:15 CST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And still no love on recognizing my trackpad as a trackpad, it's still seen as a generic PS/2 mouse... Do you think installing some upstream version of xserver will help?
blm14
Reply Quote
actually it appears that things HAVE improved somewhat"

But still no "touchpad" panel in mouse settings and no obvious way to disable tap clicking.
deach
Reply Quote
What I did on a latitude E5400 was add "syndaemon -i 1 -d" to a start up script. (this was in kde) It renders the touch pad inactive for 1 second after I type. you can vary that by changing the "1" arguement to whatever you like (ie 1.5 or 2)

You can try to enter that command into terminal and see if it works for you If it does I can get you the actual startup script next time see my laptop.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next