Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

deach
Reply Quote
OK, I've called the guy that has the e5400 he's gonna bring it by one evening next week. Let me see what I have on it and I'll let you know I'm sure there has to be a way to get this going. I don't like to end up "defeated" as I'm sure you don't either. I'm gonna try the LMDE edition live CD on it too so I'll hopefully have answers. Currently it has an aptosid install on it I'm gonna get to pure debian. I will keep you posted.
blm14
Reply Quote
That's great - I hope they're similar enough... Dell lists very different drivers for them:

E5400: support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R270649&SystemID=LAT_E5400&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14029&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=5&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=17&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=399188

N5030: support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R274721&SystemID=INSPIRON_N5030&servicetag=&os=W732&osl=en&deviceid=16519&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=17&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=405584

My concern is that the E5400 won't be similar enough hardware-wise... I was serious about letting you have SSH access...
deach
Reply Quote
I do NOT know if this will be of any help or not...

Possible solution ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10651082&postcount=13

Don't know if you've tried that or not. I see you have been at the debian forums trying to get help and really didn't get an answer...GRRR There has to be a way. Unless I have that confused with another laptop I did it was alps.....I'm seeing where the drivers are totally different in the links you sent. Let me double check somethings and if necessary I'll try the ssh idea.
blm14
Reply Quote
Yeah I saw that solution but if you look at the script all it's doing is DISABLING your touchpad entirely. I don't want to have to enable and disable my pointing device every time I type. That's really impractical :(
damentz
Reply Quote
blm14, can you try 2.6.38-5.dmz.2? I removed the ALPS touchpad patch that's supposed to enable side scrolling. Per a comment on launchpad, it actually turns your touchpad into a ps2 mouse. Now all of a sudden, it behaves like a mouse instead of a touchpad - probably worse.
blm14
Reply Quote
Behavior is the same, but synaptics pointing devices which showed the touchpad as "ALPS/Imp2" now shows "generic PS2" but the touchpad still works, generally, the same as before, and syndaemon still says no synaptic pointing devices found.

So basically outcome agnostic. The name of the device changed but the behavior is the same as before...
deach
Reply Quote
@ damentz thanks for trying. Man this is really something.
blm14
Reply Quote
Indeed - thanks all for help with this. This is the only forum that's been consistently responsive!
damentz
Reply Quote
blm14, what distro are you running and what are the versions of these packages you have installed? (or if you even have them installed)

:: Code ::
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-input-evdev
xserver-xorg-core
udev

blm14
Reply Quote
I am running ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

:: Code ::

ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics                1.2.2-2ubuntu5                                    Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev                    1:2.3.2-6ubuntu3.1                                X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-core                           2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3                                Xorg X server - core server
ii  udev                                        162-2.2                                           rule-based device node and kernel event manager

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next