links not working in IE
jespester
Reply Quote
Hi there,
I'm pretty new to publishing my HTML work, but I've just built a website and used Mozilla as the default browser for testing, but now that it's live, there are links that do not work in IE.
Links, in this case, are both internal and external and are contained in <form method="POST" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--"> buttons and within <p> tags. The links within the <p> tags are fine, but those in the <form> are not active at all.
Is there some simple reason why IE won't read the links within the <form> tags?
Thank you,
Jespester
erikZ
Reply Quote
That action="--WEBBOT-SELF--" is some FrontPage garbage, read here.

We do not support frontpage in any way, shape, or form (pardon the pun...). Please read the HTML forum rules, sorry.

But short answer, stop using frontpage to do anything, it is useless.

That is not a real HTML thing, so we don't deal with that stuff, it's some proprietary Microsoft nonsense.
jespester
Reply Quote
deepest apologies. i must have stepped into the wrong room.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
We do not want to waste our finite resources hosting subjects or topics that are of no general use to anyone other than users of for profit software designed to lock you into a way of working that makes you reliant on these products to do what should be free and open work.

Plus we just aren't interested in such matters here.

It's worth a thought, however, to consider if working in that way is really something you want to do, and, if the answer is yes, what tools you want to lock yourself into. Personally, if I had to make such a choice, I'd, very sadly, lock myself into Dreamweaver, but such a choice is not something I'll ever need to face.

By the way, the latest cms stuff like modx enables users to create some pretty good websites without knowing much html or css at all.
jespester
Reply Quote
I appreciate the non-proprietary choices made by most of your users, and totally support that. I am using what I have been given and what my organization is prepared to support.
For the time being, I am stuck. When I have a different infrastructure to work with and some more expertise, I will see you on the light side of the moon.
Cheers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
See the suggested alternative forums in the HTML / CSS forum rules linked to above. They have a good collection of people interested in such topics.

When posting questions on these matters on those forums, it's helpful for their members if you give more information, especially the Frontpage version and so on that you are using.

And, should you ever have a non wysiwyg question, feel free to ask here as well.

Somehow, though, I don't think you'll find FrontPage on the dark side of the moon either... heh heh...
jespester
Reply Quote
thanks for the tips.
to the moon, then, whatever side it may be.
J