Comp tries to boot from CD(none), can't access BIOS
Compn00b
Reply Quote
I recently installed eq2 on a mchine but un-installed it the same day. Later i tried to start the computer and thats when everything broke it seemed.

It goes through the first screen og whiter lettering talking about detecting master/slave drives, but then i hear clicking noises (fan and all i can hear running, noise sounds like it's from CD tray) and the screen says "booting from CD" then goes blank and the machine sits there. There are no CDs in the trays.

I tried getting into BIOS or set-up menu but it ignores that and wont enter.

I also tried booting from Windows XP (OS i run) and it says booting from CD but again nothing happens, just a blank screen.

My keyboard is regular, and i've removed all other plugs except mouse/keyboard and monitor......just wondering what my next step should be before I pay a tech too look at it.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Well, your system is almost certainly dead. Not being able to access the bios is a VERY serious problem.

I would do a few things before paying a tech though. First, try to get another, decent quality, reasonably high watt [ > 350 watt ] power supply.

That is the first suspect.

Second, try to reset your bios, usually the motherboard has a little jumper pin that you move to another setting, which resets bios to defaults, then see if you can get into bios again.

However, also assume that your keyboard may have died, so try another keyboard. Any keyboard will do.

You can completely ignore the cd rom question, since you can get into bios any time no matter what hardware is attached.

If none of these tests make any difference, it's probably a dead motherboard.