New Computer. XP Pre SP! keeps locking up.
Dontech
Reply Quote
Hi all

I have just built a new computer and wanted to use my version of windows XP that i have had for ages. I was going to install XP from the cd and then update to sp2 for drivers etc. I am able to install xp from the cd with no problems.

However i have run into a problem where the computer boots into windows normally but it continually locks up on me. I have tried to install sp2 on to the computer in normal and safe mode but the same result happens.
The processor is not being overutilised and when it locks up the harddrive becomes totally inactive and the processor is at 0% in the task manager. The lock up does not happen just on the install, it happens completely randomly also.

I am wondering if the partition limitation for xp pre sp1 (137GB max) would cause the computer to lock up? It should still function though.

All of the hardware is detected by windows (but i never get to install any drivers because of lockup.)

I have formatted, repaired, reinsalled but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Sounds like you may have hardware failure, there's an easy way to test though.

Just download a Linux livecd, try this one for example: ubuntu ,sidux (download location: for isos), or this one knoppix, burn it, then boot the live cd, which will not install linux to your machine, it will run off of the cd.

If it boots fine, either one, then your system is probably fine, but if it doesn't, your hardware is probably dead.

My guess is your hardware is dead, that's what it sounds like, but it's hard to tell.

You can also try to create a smaller partition for windows, using a tool like gparted live partitioning cd

Then reinstall windows. Or just install Linux and forget about windows once and for all...
Dontech
Reply Quote
I booted the live cd.

The linux distro booted perfectly and i messed around with it for about an hour which is much longer than windows lasted. I was stumped for an answer as i have reinstalled windows before. then I thought that the linux distro boots and runs from the cd drive and not the harddrive. Mabey the harddrive was the problem.

I had a theory that the harddrive is fecked (irish :) ). To test that theory i put in a formatted harddrive that i knew worked and did the exact same install. I tried to install xpsp2 onto that HD and it installed perfectly!!!! Drivers and all went on fine.

I put my harddrive into another computer that i knew workes fine and lo and behold the problem started again.

I am convinced the harddrive is a lemon.

What do you think. Am I right or am i missing something?

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated. :):):):):):):)P:)
jeffd
Reply Quote
Try using the latest version of the ultimate boot cd, you can download a copy from the great mr bass site.

Burn the iso, boot, run the hard disk test utility that fits your drive brand.

It definitely sounds like a dead hard disk, I agree. But do the test on it to make sure, you have to run those tests no matter what in order to return the hard drive for RMA replacement. Most hard drives have 3 year warranties, except seagate, which has a 5 year warranty.

Hint: buy seagate always, never by off brand drives, at least western digital or maxtor, but seagate is the real way to go.

By the way, if you create an extra partition of at least 10 gigabytes, you can install something like sidux after you reinstall windows, it will put a boot loader on your system that lets you pick between either windows or linux, so you can play around with linux too if you want to check out how another type of operating system works. Most linux distros like about 10 gig space for install, plus another 1/2 gigabyte swap space partition, assuming you have at least 256 mB ram. Gparted is a really friendly and easy to use livecd that makes partitioning and formatting a total breeze.

Always partition and format before you install, its a lot safer than trying to resize live.