CPU 100% when disk access
kaostech
Reply Quote
Hi,

I have a WindowsXP SP2 in Semprom 2800+ , 200GB SATA II, 1 GB RAM.

All MB drivers installed.

But

When copy large files (100MB or more) from one partition to other the CPU usage up to 100% and the operating system freezed until finish the copy process.

may be a bios problem?

I formatted the hard disk with XP SP1 previously (137MB max recognize), one partition of 40MB and the second partition with SP2 (160 MB), this could affect?

Thanks for your help.

Carlos.
jeffd
Reply Quote
You know, it's hard to say.

I assume you formatted all your partitions with NTFS and not Fat32.

I did a quick test using kanotix linux, debian based, transferred a 700 mB file from one disk / partition to another one, watched cpu useage, and it also went up to about 100%. Of course, since linux systems are radically more stable and robust than Windows, the cpu useage at 100% or so really doesn't affect the overall performance of the system.

The same, sadly, cannot be said for windows, which tends to run really badly at 100% cpu useage. That's actually one of the reasons I left windows behind, I got sick of it's bad performance.

The transfer, on a reasonably modern box, took about 20 seconds, cpu useage went to around 100%, then dropped instantly back to the normal 2-3% or so. So for you, with a 100mB file, it should take no longer than about 5 seconds at the most, unless you have a really old system.

Assuming a reasonably modern 7200 rpm SATA or UDMA 6 hard disk, if there is disk damage windows will groan and complain massively, so you might want to check the hard disk for damage.

So it depends on various things:

1. cpu speed
2. hard disk speed, sata is faster than ide
3. mobo speed

what type of system are you using, how long to transfer a 700 mB file, if you have one available? Most linux isos are 700 mB or so.

You have to establish a baseline to see if there is an actual problem, or if this is just windows being lame, like it often is.