Page: 1, 2  Next

Running IEs concurrently
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hello guys - me again....

I installed IE7 but couldn't figure out how to make my earlier IEs run as "themselves" concurrently with 7. Could you point me to a tutorial on doing that? I didn't have any trouble with the running alongside IE6, so not sure what the problem is....

Thanks!
jeffd
Reply Quote
Are you using the IEs from browsers.evolt.org? I hope you're not using that horribly convoluted multiple IE install method that dr doc came up with on webmasterworld, the standalone installers from evolt.org are much better, and much easier to deal with.

Those always worked fine for me, but I'm not running IE 7 currently, well, I'm not even running windows any more.

So I can't say for sure either way.

I ran IE 7 to test it, but using an installer download, not the MS official release, that one worked fine, but that was beta 1.

I'm typing this from MSIE 6 on linux, using the delightful IEs4Linux installers, which put in 5.01 sp2, 5.5 sp 2, and IE 6. And flash 8, as if that weren't good enough. Heh heh.

By the way, flash 8 and the new 2.x ies4linux seem to have gotten the ies to run significantly better than they did before on linux. More stable, can even load espn.com without crashing!
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, using the bunch of them a friend sent me on cd (he might have got them from evolt, not sure.... being's he's a techie, might be....)

I can always just load them up on my laptop - once I get a replacement for the router that just died so I can get my network back.
jeffd
Reply Quote
The evolt ones are just zip or installer files, unzip them, install them, whatever, create the required blank files, and it should all be good from there on out. Actually, the evolt ones just install, I remember now, it was the ie 7 that required the blank file.

If you got anything else, you might want to just reinstall the ones from evolt, they should work, they are pretty much standalone apps.

Using MSIE on linux is really funny, I just reinstalled ies4linux because some wine upgrade broke the old installs, easy install though so no real issue, first thing I see? a popup from espn.com, heh heh, reminds me of the old days. I'm not even going to turn off that stuff, I want to see what joe and jane q public see.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
I'll go ahead and download the evolt ones. The really odd thing is that they were all working fine (all the way back to IE3!) until I installed 7 - now ALL of them load as 7!

Dumb.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Correction: no, you want these standalone ones, not the installer stuff. Those are all zip files, just unzip, create paths, and you should be good to go.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Man I like having my MSIEs working again in linux, that's very cool. Doubt they'll ever get MSIE 7 running, but who knows, maybe they will, I'll wait and see.

This is the first time I've used MSIE for months, it's like stepping back in time, way back. I read that MSIE 7 is a lot better though, even the main firefox developer Blake Ross said that:

:: Quote ::
Q: I know you're asked frequently about Internet Explorer 7, Microsoft's next browser. How much have you used the test version, and what do you think of it?

Ross: I've used it a little bit. The truth is that it actually looks pretty good. People don't expect me to say that, they expect me to say that it's terrible. They did exactly what we were expecting them to do, which was take a bunch of time and get IE7 up to feature parity with Firefox. I haven't seen any real innovation above and beyond what we delivered in Firefox. I think that it's a solid product, but I think that by the time it comes out, we're going to be another world ahead of them again, so I think it's kind of a step or two behind us.

My guess is that msie 7 simply overwrote all your system settings on install.

If you use the zip files from evolt.org and then just create the shortcuts manually, windows doesn't even know they exist as such, and you shouldn't have the path breaking problem again.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Cool! Thanks for the links and info. As always, posting here saves me a TON of anguish!
jeffd
Reply Quote
It's just barely possible of course that MSIE 7 breaks all the old libraries that the other MSIEs used, so let me know if you have any problems running 4, 5, 5.5, and 6 together with MSIE 7, that would be good information in general.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Yup, will report back as soon as I see what's what.
Page: 1, 2  Next