LCD shuts off.
lavaspit
Reply Quote
I have a duel display setup with two Viewsonic VX922. After 1-2 hours of use one of the LCDs simply turns off. It doesnt lose power, the image goes dead and the power light is amber. This is not a power save or screen saver funtion. If I leave the unit off for an extended period of time I can use it agin. My video card is a eVGA 256-P2-N564 Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16.

All the connections are tight. I am using one digital cable and one analogue cable becasue I coulndt get two digital connectiosn to work with my video card.

If the GPU is overheating then why is only one screen dying? Everythign is new in this system, it alsmost top of the line. Lian Li with excellent airflow and water cooled.
jeffd
Reply Quote
sounds like a bad monitor to me, but to make sure you should swap monitors, in other words, change monitor one to the current monitor two output connector, and put monitor two to one.

If the same monitor fades out again, you know it's the monitor, and if the same connector monitor fails, you know it's the video card.

New things fail just like old things, they don't make this stuff to 100% or 99.999% failsafe, they make it probably to 99.9% or less, and just accept that some failures will occur on new stuff. Why? Because it's cheaper that way.

If your video card has a fan on it, the gpu shouldn't be overheating, but if it doesn't, it might be. You can use the video card monitor that comes with most cards to monitor the temperature of the gpu though, it's rare to see them go that high if they get some reasonable amount of airflow over them.
tested
lavaspit
Reply Quote
when i switch connections the good monitor still works and the bad one has no image but also reads "no signal". if it wer failing i would think that it woudl nto be able to display that message. what do you think?
jeffd
Reply Quote
If I had to pick a guess, I'd guess that the video card is bad, and can't power both monitors.

To double check this, unplug one of the monitors, and run each one for a few hours each off the same video card output.

When you do dual monitors, the video card has to do a lot more processing, since' it's creating a much bigger area to display than with only one monitor.

I'd be very surprised if the second monitor that you think is bad is actually bad, but only doing a one at a time until failure test can conclusively show this.

So turn off dual monitor support, plug in the first monitor, run it for a day or two, then, using the same output on the video card, run the second monitor. If neither fails, it's the video card, if one of the monitors fails, it's almost certainly the monitor.

Boring tests, but it's what you have to do in this case to pinpoint the true cause before returning the product that is defective, if it's still under warranty. Make sure to get these tests done before the warrany period expires though.
Will do
lavaspit
Reply Quote
I will run those tests. only confusing factor is that im usignone digital connector adn one analogue adapter. so that may mean that ill have to test each monitor independently with two kinds of connections. thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it could be that either the digital output chip or the analog output chip is defective. Something failing after a few hours of operation tends to be bad chip or electronic part. You definitely don't want to start replacing anything until you are positive you know what is bad, and only doing these tedious tests can show it.

My first clueless guess is that it's going to be the digital output section of the video card, but that's just a guess, could also be the internal circuits of one of the monitors, there's just no way to know for sure without testing.