Page: 1, 2  Next

Mess with Firefox and cPanel
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Issue:

cPanel won't load properly in Firefox 1.5.0.4 (has been happening since 1.5.0.2 actually). Takes upwards of 3 minutes to load usable links, and the graphics NEVER load (just get the "broken" icon).

Firefox ONLY: cPanel works perfectly in Opera (ANY version) and IE6+. There's a bug report (including some info from me) here: bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3950

This is the ONLY thing I have problems with in Firefox. The truly strange thing is that I just got satband installed, and for a couple of days thereafter, Firefox and cPanel were fine again. But now it's back to "broken". AND it's taking those 3 minutes plus to load on broadband!

Ideas?

[Edit: should have noted, I did a clean profile twice at least, didn't change a thing - cPanel still wouldn't load properly....]
jeffd
Reply Quote
A few guesses, about:config:

network.prefetch-next :: set to 'false'
network.dns.disableIPv6 :: set to the opposite of what it is now, probably 'true' for disable it.

If those don't do it, try these:

browser.sessionstore.enabled :: set to 'false'
browser.sessionhistory.max_entries :: set to '10'
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers :: set to '1'

I've found these give fairly good stable firefox viewing and running.

I haven't had any ipv6 issues, but double check, I'd do these one by one and see if any one of them solve the problem.

Let me know if any of these made a difference.

Make sure the images are served locally of course, which they should be, but double check the html, then check your 3rd party image settings.

prefetch is my first guess though.

By the way, congratulations on getting broadband way out there in the far away lands, nice going!!

Now you can actually enjoy linux for real when you get time to get into it.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
network.prefetch-next : no change
network.dns.disableIPv6 : no change

browser.sessionstore.enabled : I don't have this setting at all
browser.sessionhistory.max_entries : no change
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers : no change

Did these one by one (except for the one I don't have; do I need to add this? If so, how do I do that?), clearing cache in between, and opening a new tab to load the cPanel.

No improvement at all....

[Edit: nev'mind, I figured out how to add something, so went ahead, added browser.sessionstore.enabled false - still no improvement.]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I believe both your daughter's case and this case are the same issue. It's the web server not handling the request correctly. Then that triggers something in firefox.

Check your MSIE and opera settings for caching of web pages, my guess is it's not the same as it is for firefox.

You'll notice both cases have a singular thing in common: you are both visiting sites that you visit all the time, run on the same server.

It's hard to diagnose this exactly, but I'd bet 100 to 1 that this is not a cpanel bug, it's a server bug. And if you figured out a way to set the caching policies of opera, msie, and firefox to be identical, not an easy thing to do though, it would happen on all of them.

try this in kanotix livecd and see, I would not be surprised if firefox loaded the page fine.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Okay, so you're saying to match Ff's cache settings to IE and Op? And then Ff should handle this exactly the same as the other two do?

Hmmm. Okay, I'll dig into that some then....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it's my suspicion, actually I was saying to match msie and opera to firefox to see if then they have the same error.

But firefox got rid of their advanced options stuff for that, grrr.... the gnome disease spreads... if you get into linux you'll start to understand what that is and why it's so damned annoying. Remove standard advanced config to text config out of gui, then say: normal users don't need to see it, and advanced users should know what it is in the config file... grrrrrrr firefox, abiword, all these gnome apps, are better on windows than on linux... grrrr.... pet peeve.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, y'know, it's almost not worth the trouble. Opera 9 beta 2 works perfectly. I'm inclined to just migrate to Opera and if and when they fix Ff I'll think about going back to it.

I'm not btw the only Ff user out there with this problem. There are several threads on the forum at mozilla about the same thing, none of which get any love. The feeling I have from it is that the Ff folks don't really give a rat's a#s....

Which is probably another reason for migrating to Opera.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There's a problem in the firefox thing, and from what I can see, it's the gnome problem.

The gnome problem is this [if you don't know, the main firefox developer works on the gnome desktop, or he did]:

1. Assume your users are all either a: retards, computer illiterates who shouldn't be allowed to even see any advanced configuration stuff, or b: advanced users who will of course not only happily go to the text mode config stuff, but will also magically know exactly what to configure there.

Linus torvalds had interesting comments on this here and here

:: Quote ::
This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

As usual, the gnome developers absolutey REFUSE to even hear what he is saying here, as do most gnome fans, who are fast becoming almost as bizarre as Mac fans.
:: Quote ::
That's _not_ like any other open source project I know about. Gnome seems to be developed by interface nazis, where consistently the excuse for not doing something is not "it's too complicated to do", but "it would confuse users".

The current example of "intentionally not listed in the printing dialog, the usability team of GNOME was against listing these options." is clearly not the exception, but the rule.

By the way, I've seen that Jeff he's talking to in other threads, and he's always the same, he absolutely will n ot hear what is being said.

2. Begin to make configuration decisions based on a mythical, non-existent, 'average user', not pulled from real world focus group type studies, but just how somebody thinks they think. Ignoring that is about 10 years of real world useability work done by Apple and Microsoft. I was not, for example, surprised to see that the gnome useability guy had started fresh out of college. Personally, I don't want a 20 ish guy making any useability decisions for me, sorry. The worst, most notorious of these decisions is the default file open/save dialogue box that we are forced into using with all gtk/gnome based apps, like firefox. Luckily windows users don't have to suffer through using that piece of garbage.

3. Start including features that are very poorly implemented, then when you are called on it - network prefetch, history stores that use all available system ram etc - rather than admit error, get slightly arrogant about it, and suggest users don't know what they are doing, or should be happy with the decisions made for them.

I see this as a temporary issue, which will get resolved as the most arrogant in this scene are forced out, the younger ones get a little older and get more experience, and market demands force this to get fixed.

I'm not however convinced that this is actually a firefox issue, though it may be a case, like with some html/css stuff, where firefox is simply not allowing an error to pass through like opera and msie are. That's fairly common, was much more so a year or two ago.

In firefoxes favor still of course is their extension stuff. Plus it has really good css rendering, still I think the best out there, though khtml/konqueror/safari is catching up quickly.

Moving to opera to me is pretty extreme, personally, I would just use opera for that one thing, I use opera on linux for a tiny set of things too, not because firefox doesn't work, just because it's convenient to do that.

It's simply too unlikely in my opinion that both you and your daughter are having what sounds like the same problem, only from this one web hoster's servers, for this to be a firefox issue, although I think that problem may occur elsewhere.

To the firefox developer's credit, you have no idea how hard it is to debug an issue that is not actually caused by a bug per se in the programming, but by an unforeseen event not under your control, and technically not correct. That's still my guess.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, I didn't have time today to call below10; too many client issues. And now to provide another piece of information: a friend of mine/sometime web-dev partner uses Ff, and hosts most of her sites on the same host as I resell for, and some of her sites are on the SAME SERVER mine are - and she doesn't have this problem with either the sites on the same server as my reseller space, or sites on other servers owned by the same host.

So what does that tell you? I'll have to check with her about her Ff version, I don't know which one she's up to....
vkaryl
Reply Quote
*sigh*

Um. Wanna know what it was?

I had cookies set to allow for originating site only. Sheesh.
Page: 1, 2  Next