Why does my computer keep restarting???
mickdaddy69
Reply Quote
Ok I am not the most technically minded when it comes to computers, but I know my fair share!!! I have been having a problem with my PC, it randomly restarts and when OS loads up again it says windows has recovered from a serious error. Any ideas what is wrong would be helpful, and any solutions would be much appreciated.

Fujitsu Scaleo P
Windows XP SP2
Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
504 MB of RAM
80 GB HHD

When I checked the event log in administrator tools these were the most common errors that occurred:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 ceb50f20, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f83fb672, parameter4 00000000.

The server {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 0000e315, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 ef8ea68f.

Error code 10000050, parameter1 ceb50f00, parameter2 00000001, parameter3 804f0203, parameter4 00000000.

I hope this is enough to get help from anybody out there!!! If I need to give more info could someone please let me know, as simply as possible please!!!

Thanks very much
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, first thing to do is run your virus program to make sure you don't have something nasty. Then run your spyware checker ditto.

If those are clean, then I'd think it might be your hdd getting ready to die, or possibly your power supply. But if it were me, I'd take the box to my local comp shop and have them check it out. Trying to self-diagnose things without having a bunch of replacement parts laying around to plug in is a waste of time, energy and money.... They can probably figure it out in under an hour, for around $50 - which considering the aggravation trying to DIY is MORE than worth the money.
mickdaddy69
Reply Quote
Thanks very much I will look into your suggestions, thanks very much!!!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mickdaddy, you'll need to provide the event id number and the event id source.

You skipped those two and gave the less useful information.

Only list event id numbers and sources with red flags on them.

If any one looks interesting maybe we can learn something, but my guess is because the system shuts off without a warning there is no time for the system to log the event, but we'll see.

Along with with vkaryl notes, I'd add: most likely, bad memory, bad sectors on hard drive, virus corrupion.

In any case, run anti virus and spyware tests listed in that thread, before going on to do anything more complicated.

It's also worth running memtest to test your memory and a hard disk utility to check your hard drive.

Both of these are available on the ultimate boot cd, which contains all the test utilities you'll need.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
And hey, mickdaddy, PLEASE report back what you did and what the problem was, so the next poor soul could come up with it when searching....

Thanks!
mickdaddy69
Reply Quote
You will not believe this people. When I was getting the problems with my PC, and I checked the error code on google, everything I checked pointed to faulty RAM, processor or harddrive. I then spoke to an IT guy, after the recommendation above. He then told me to try a different power lead, sometimes it can be a power lead that is the fault. So I did, so far, so good. I have changed the power lead for about 2 days now and no problems, I will keep you all posted whether or not it stays that way.

Just goes to show, people who get the same problem as me, check all the obvious things first, because there could be a simple solution like I had. vkaryl you got it, faulty power lead! And everybody that gave me suggestions, thankyou!!!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mickdaddy, give the IT guy a pat on the back, of course that's the most basic thing to check, bad connections are responsible for many failed computer starts. It's unusual to have a bad connection cause your particular issue, but he was still smart to remind you to check that anyway, since it's by far the simplest thing to check of everything else.

That's actually the first thing I check when I do this, I just forgot to type that.

By strange coincidence my own computer in fact decided to not start as well 2 days ago, with no prewarning.

That did have some tiny symptoms, an odd high pitched whine coming out of the power supply when it was switched on, but zero post activity, nothing, no lights.

I swapped powersupplies with a known good one in that case, and that was the issue, got a temp on it now while I get a real factory replacement for my good one that failed, an antec. Strange.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the conclusion, and for reminding us, again: always check the connections when experiencing issues. One of my mottos is in fact: it's probably just a bad connection. That's very often true.

I'll have to remember to add that to my checklist I give people though, it's one of those things I tend to forget because it's so basic, LOL...
vkaryl
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::

Anyway, thanks for bringing the conclusion, and for reminding us, again: always check the connections when experiencing issues. One of my mottos is in fact: it's probably just a bad connection. That's very often true.

I'll have to remember to add that to my checklist I give people though, it's one of those things I tend to forget because it's so basic, LOL...

Oh, not ONLY that: check the ribbon cables too.... it's really hard to believe how often that li'l thing can cause problems!