second HD reporting only 9mb size
doctorhifi
Reply Quote
Hello,
I have a Gateway Performace 1000XL (from around 2000) which came with a 20GB HD. I have installed XP Pro on it and it works fine in case you are wondering. I recently added a second HD, a 30G Quantum Fireball lct10 that I had from somewhere. Jumper on this drive is in the slave position.

Problemn is, this drive registers as only 9mb in size.

After hours of looking around, I found information making me think this drive may have been locked (I have a Tivo unit and it is possible that this 30g Quantum drive was in my Tivo before I upgraded to a much larger HD). I ran the qunlock untility and this did not help. Also tried diskutil to no avail. Drive still says its only 9mb in size.

I am new to this HD game, so any advice would be appreciated. I am a beginner in skill level as well when it comes to the PC, so I hope I've given enough information for someone to help out. Thanks
erikZ
Reply Quote
Well, you posted just enough information to start to find the answer. Here iis the gunluck utility link, which you say didn't work.

:: Quote ::
If you see the TiVo drive reporting as 9MB or 10MB, it means that the drive is locked. You'll need to go to www.9thtee.com/qunlock.exe. This executable will permanently unlock your drive.

Read the rest of that tivo hacking article. Good site, computerpoweruser.com.

So what's the problem? It sounds like your drive is still locked. How to unluck it if the unlock tool didn't work? My guess is something may not have been done correctly.

You can read more on unlocking the drive at 9thtee.com.

Locked Drive: If your Quantum/Maxtor drive (some drives labeled as Maxtor may actually have Quantum firmware) is locked (reporting as 9-10MB on boot up) then you should unlock it now using your qunlock dos boot floppy (see step 4). Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and wait for the 'No more processes ... ' to exit and power down your PC. Place the qunlock dos boot disk in your floppy drive and then power up your PC.

At the A:\ prompt type the following command:

(This command assumes you have your TiVo drive connected as Secondary Master)

qunlock 2

My guess is you didn't have it set as master.

This is step 4:
4) Download Latest Upgrade Utilities

If you have a CD accompanying these directions, you can use that. If you wish to make sure there are no more recent utilities released, you may check www.tyger.org/MFS for any new releases. If you can not boot off your CD-ROM drive, you can use the floppy disk image included on the CD or download the latest floppy disk image and use that.

If you wish to use a new CD image, or you do not have a CD accompanying these directions and wish to use the CD, you should download the latest CD image from the MFS Tools download page. You will need a CD-R or CD-RW drive (Or a friend with a CD-R or CD-RW drive) to create a CD. Use your CD burning software to burn an ISO image (Not a file) using Data Mode 1, Block size 2048. You may need to adjust your PCs BIOS boot options to ‘Boot from CD’ if not configured.

The Boot CD will generally automatically unlock any TiVo locked Quantum drives. However, if your TiVo comes with a Maxtor drive or you are using a new Quantum or Maxtor drive in your planned upgrade, then you may require another utility to unlock this drive if it is ever placed in the TiVo for testing/use and then removed later for further upgrading steps. If you run into a locked drive (total size reports as 9-10 MB) during this upgrade process then use the qunlock utility to unlock. You will need to create a DOS boot disk to run this utility from, and you will need to run it every time you take your drive out of your TiVo.

If you do not have a CD-R or CD-RW drive, you will need to create a bootable floppy. Follow the instructions in the \floppy directory of the CD, or the README that comes with the downloaded floppy disk image to create a floppy disk image.

If you are using GoBack, you will want to disable it, as it can cause corruption of files created while in a Linux boot environment.

I would go back, read the documentation on that tool, and try the process again.

While reading the above however, it strikes me that there are several places where the procedure can fail. I would read the article above thoroughly, and see if you recognize any places where you may have done something wrong in the process.
Unlock Maxtor
CB
Reply Quote
There are so many cases of people having problems unlocking a Maxtor external Hard drive. Forget resolving this problem via software. You may in worst case do irreversable damage to your computer.
Go hardware... This do work; buy an inexpensive external hard drive cabinet and simply attach your disc to it via it's power- and datacable... voila, and you are back in business. Enjoy!

Best regards
Herleif Sandbakken
Norway