The Bruce Perens Open Source series
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can download for free any one of the Bruce Perens Open Source series books in pdf. You can also buy them, if you don't like pdf books.

Some of these are pretty in-depth, one that struck me as interesting looking was Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager. How Linux handles virtual memory has been somewhat of a mystery to me, and programs like top or htop haven't helped me to really understand what Linux is doing in regards to virtual memory.

I'm also going to check out PHP 5 Power Programming.

Bruce Perens, for those of you who don't follow this stuff, was a project leader for debian, and also worked at pixar for years.

These books are all published under the Open Publication License, which is a much more rational looking copyright license than the fairly silly Creative Commons license.

The sectioin of the Open Publication license that I really like are:

:: Quote ::
VI. LICENSE OPTIONS

The author(s) and/or publisher of an Open Publication-licensed document may elect certain options by appending language to the reference to or copy of the license....

A. `Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is prohibited without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.'

B. 'Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard (paper) book form is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained from the copyright holder.'

This allows you to maintain control over the actual product, while essentially recognizing that digital version of books are simply not the same as a print version.