250gb WD Sata drive only reads as 127gb
booply
Reply Quote
I made sure my enablebiglba was valid in the registry, but the weird thing is when I go into my hard-drive specs it has it registered as a SCSI disk device. No idea if this is what's the cause of it. I am running windows xp home with fully updated SP 2, as well as the latest bios for the motherboard I have (ASROCK 939 dual sata2 with sock 939 athlon 64 3000+ venice running in it, board also has pci express x16 and 8x agp slot on [the dual video card motherboard they offer]). I initially thought it was a sata driver issue, but I might be encountering some other problem. No clue yet since it says my sata drivers are up to date and the bios is as well. I tried running the drive in both raid and non-raid, and reformatting the drive using the xp cd in both instances. Same outcome. If anyone has a clever suggestion, post a reply please. I don't want to trade this off for an ATA, but then again, I might be wasting just as much time trying to figure out this stupid problem in the first place. If I can't get it to work by the end of the weekend, I'll just sell it on Craigslist and get an ATA off newegg or pricewatch.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's a weird issue.

If I were you, I'd download something like the kanotix livecd, burn it, then check to see what it reports the drive as in terms of size.

You can do that by running, once it's booted up, dmesg and looking at the output. But if the bios reports the drive size correctly, as 250 gB, the problem is for sure with windows.

SCSI disk device I've seen before for SATA drives, don't worry about that part, that's just how windows sees some types of SATA chipsets, not sure why that is, but it's not unusual.

There's some more windows max hard drive information here.

I've had no problems getting large hard drives registered though, are you sure it's correctly identified in the bios?