Useful Linux on laptops links
jeffd
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
It is worth mentioning also: Linux-Laptop.net - Linux on laptops, Linux-Thinkpad.org - Linux on Thinkpads (and the mailing list), the Linux on Thinkpads webring :: src

And what the author says here is true by the way, linux on ibm laptops works very well.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Have to check that out.... not only for moi, I've a friend who just bought a ThinkPad 40....
jeffd
Reply Quote
If your friend got an IBM 40 series I just set one of those up in case you need help, there's a nice collection of toys and tools. Kanotix runs extremely well on that by the way. I haven't tested the wireless networking yet, but everything else is working perfectly.

I should have kept a list of everything I installed to get it fully running, but it's hard to keep track to be honest, one day I'll get that organized.

The T 40 series are beautiful machines, screen isn't huge, but it's completely fine. It's not chance that open source stuff works on them, Richard Stallman uses ibms, as do a lot of other major developers.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
She got it brand new on overstock for about $625 plus shipping. Really nice I think, she seems to be very happy with it. She's got an ubuntu distro she's thinking of using, don't know how that will work.