Wordpress 2.0 is out
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Review and tips on the new Wordpress 2.0, another fine article from newsforge.com.

Of special note, found on page 2 of the review:

:: Quote ::
WordPress 2.0 includes the Akismet anti-spam plugin, which takes care of the comment spam problem nicely. After running it for a few weeks, I've caught more than 150 spam comments. None of the comments tagged as spam turned out to be false positives, and it hasn't missed any comment spam either.

I'm very happy with Akismet, particularly since it has allowed me to get rid of the CAPTCHA test, which is pretty annoying if you are leaving legitimate comments.

The one drawback to Akismet is that you have to have a WordPress.com API Key, which means you have to set up a WordPress.com account -- even if you don't plan to use the service. It's free, but it seems silly to set up an account through WordPress.com if you never use it again. However, getting rid of comment spam is easily worth the two minutes or so it takes to set up an account.

For those of us who've followed the ethically challenged regions found in the blackhat seo world, and their methods, this is of particular importance, since comment review and editing gets to be a mind boggling task. This is not to be under valued.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Hmm. Well, anytime you want a really unbiased view....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
An unbiased review would be good.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
1. Akismet is only available if you sign up for a wordpress.com hosted blog - which accomplishes one thing only: traffic for wordpress.com and Matt Mullenweg. If you delete the .com blog after you get the api key, the key will still work - until and only until the cache refreshes (couple days, outside).

2. IF you sign up for wordpress.com and get the api key to activate Akismet, you will be lucky if you can make the key work - this is about a 75/25 proposition right now.

3. Akismet, while reasonably good at what it does, is bottom-line no better at preventing spam than is the combination of the Bad Behavior and Spam Karma 2 plugins, or the Bad Behavior and wp-spamassassin plugins. And it seems to use more resources than those combined.

I have numerous blogs, including a .com one so I have the relevant api key, though I'm not interested in using it. (I can't be bothered with Matt's pet project. It's nothing more than a vanity maneuver - one he's no doubt trying to monetize.) I manage just fine with Bad Behavior and wp-spamassassin (which I actually prefer to SK2 personally).

Anyone who's considering this needs to spend some time reading the fora at wordpress.org/support and wordpress.com/forums/. I warn you: search is broken at .org/support, has BEEN broken for a couple of months now, and no one (meaning Matt of course) gives a rat's a#s about fixing it, so you need to use the site:wordpress etc. google dodge in order to find anything.

(Um. Well.... that wasn't necessarily unbiased after all, was it? Then again, I spend an inordinate amount of time as a mod at the .org support forum, so perhaps I can be considered to have SOME knowledge....)