Hey, jeffd! Lookee here... desktopbsd
mud
Reply Quote
www.desktopbsd.net/index.php?id=37
jeffd
Reply Quote
Yeah, I should have posted that one, I saw it a week or two ago. Lots of fun stuff in that world, for the debian inclined you can grab GenieOS, which is just a standard install of debian stable, easily upgradeable to debian testing, which is what most debian derived distros use.

At some point I'll get around to switching to one of these, I might test the freebsd desktop, I'm not convinced about the user friendliness of freebsd though, even if it does use kde or gnome, still questions about how well the kernel handles all those things like usb sticks and all that.

Thanks for posting that one though, there's a lot of interesting stuff happening on the free/open source desktop scene.
mud
Reply Quote
I was a bit surprised to see FreeBSD go GUI big time.
On the other hand, I can't believe how many serious distros have been hooking up with KDE and Gnome recently.
distrowatch.com
My CD burner can't keep up.

:: jeffd wrote ::
I'm not convinced about the user friendliness of freebsd though...

Well, who knows. Maybe there are more and more Linux geniuses ("genii" in good latin)
who are finally catching on about going user friendly.

I should be going back to Linux near the end of January, but not before trying out Solaris.
I can't wait.
jeffd
Reply Quote
I went in and checked the freebsd motherboard support, it's not that great, didn't see SiS SATA supported, maybe it is, maybe not, the linux kernel gets a lot more desktop support. But if the system installs on a box it's going to be fine, and it will definitely be stable.

Problem with user friendly is that for users the bar is set very high, Microsoft will support things long before Linux does, and freeBSD will be significantly behind.

Users have come to expect a lot, even if that lot is delivered by producing very buggy code and products.

Things to look out for:

Kanotix 2005-4, which looks like it will have to be renamed to 2006-1, I'm waiting for that one, though I think I might also give the genieos a try, since running pure debian is really what I want to do, I just don't feel like figuring out how to configure and install nvidia drivers and so on.

Then of course the latest Mepis, that's a nice one if you want a good debian sourced desktop, depends on which works better for you I'd guess.

If I was running a server though I'd be using freebsd, or debian stable, for the same reason I think linux has an edge on the desktop: there just isn't as much desktop junk cluttering up freebsd, it's used almost exclusively as a server OS.

I doubt freebsd would support my motherboard though, MSI k8n neo 4 platinum, it's already pushing linux, although linux installs fine on it with added nvidia drivers for the graphics.

Solaris would be fun too, but, again, motherboard driver support is going to be an issue, reviews I've read said it's not that easy to get installed, it will get easier over time as people start porting all the linux drivers over to solaris. Another great choice for a server os I'd say, with carefully selected parts to avoid driver issues.

:: Quote ::
Maybe there are more and more Linux geniuses ("genii" in good latin)
who are finally catching on about going user friendly.

It's improving, it's not there yet. Still far too many splintered projects, far too many distros, far too little focus on the real useability issues, the stuff that makes me unable to recommend linux to anyone who isn't geek inclined.

Plus of course software stuff, that's a biggie. All depends on what the user needs though. Problem happens when simple things like you get a digital camera, linux doesn't recognize it, no linux software, end of story. Not linuxes fault, but it's reality.

I'm starting to suspect more and more that making stuff 'user friendly' is simply not very interesting, so it doesn't attract bright hackers. All that testing, build labs, over and over, it's what microsoft pays its junior programmers to do. That's why it took sun to create a workable office suite for example.

Or, not to get mean, but why not - why Apple came out with what has to be considered by far and away the best *nix windowing system out there. Personally I can't stand it, but it works, software is easy to install, everything 'just works'. Which is what real world users want. Linux moves to fast to get to that point, that's what keeps it in the realm of power user tools, or fixed configuration corporate desktops.
mud
Reply Quote
Yes, all very good points.

But at least, it seems to be going in the right direction.